Dyuti's Reviews > The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

Jun 19, 12

bookshelves: children, fantasy
Recommended for: All fantasy lovers
Read on June 17, 2012, read count: 1

What an amazingly delightful book! I regret not reading it earlier

** Before I begin, let me clarify that as I am not a Christian, I had no idea that this book was written by keeping the image of Jesus (as Aslan) in mind. I just came across this revelation on Goodreads, and it just added another layer to the story! The review below is written only by treating it as a fun-filled and action packed novel!

narnia

I had seen the movie based on the book a couple of years ago, and had really loved it! On reading the book, I realized it's just an extention of the movie(Should have been the other way round, but then, the one which comes first usually forms the greater impression). I'm glad the scripwriters did not destroy the essence of the story, which is (though simple), a charming tale!

Anyway, coming back to the story, it is about four adventurous children, who accidentally discover the magical world of Narnia behind a wardrobe in an old strange house. But all in not well in this magical land! It's under the reign of the evil queen -- the WHite Witch! Together with the help of a Magnificant Lion -- Aslan, the children go on to kill the witch and themselves become the Four Kings(and Queens!) of Narnia.

Though lacking much plot twists, I loved it simply because it was so easy-flowing! I altually wished I had a naughty kid near me whom I could catch hold of and read the book aloud to! I would love to see his wide-eyed amazement when Lucy would open the wardrobe for the first time, see his dissapointment when Edmund would betray them, (view spoiler) and catch that gleeful smile when they would win the Battle!

Maybe someday, sometime!

P.S: I really liked the dedication.

It read:

" My dear Lucy,
I wrote this story for you, but when I began it I had not realized that girls grow quicker than books. As a result you are already too old for fairy tales, and by the time it is printed and bound you will be older still. But some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again. You can then take it down from some upper shelf, dust it, and tell me what you think of it. I shall probably be too deaf to hear, and too old to understand, a word you say, but I shall still be,
your affectionate Godfather,
C.S.Lewis."

Dear God, I hope I'm NEVER too old for fairy tales!
33 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.

jzhunagev The Chronicles of Narnia is also one of my favorite reads last year. I read the series according to each book's year of publication and I was glad I did it for the lessons of Lewis in each installment gave me a lasting impression.

Happy reading to you, Dyuti! :)

message 2: by Srinivas (new) - added it

Srinivas its charming, not chatming

C.S. is a great story teller, The Chronicles of Narnia is collection of nice and charming tales,each story has a different dimension, i brought this book for 800 bucks(film edition), but bad luck i lost it in Howrah station,

u know this book is even named in "Times 100 best books"

message 3: by Dyuti (last edited Jun 19, 2012 08:58AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dyuti @Srinivas: Oh what a pity, losing books feels terrible, specially if it's brand new... Luckily, I have not lost any till now... Touch wood... I would hate myself for years if such a thing happened! :P

And sorry, for that typo! It didn't catch my eye. Thanks for pointing it out. I corrected it!

Dyuti @jzhunagev: I too plan on reading the next few books! I hope to enjoy them as much as I did this one... Though I do not know why, but some of my friends on Goodreads said that C.S.Lewis is not as imaginative as J. R. Tolkien, and this series is more popular because of the movies. Is that so?

message 5: by Srinivas (new) - added it

Srinivas Dyuti wrote: "@jzhunagev: I too plan on reading the next few books! I hope to enjoy them as much as I did this one... Though I do not know why, but some of my friends on Goodreads said that C.S.Lewis is not as i..."

its not true , both writers are good according to their aspects of their writings.

one cant choose between Stephen king and J.K.Rowling, who is popular,

if one say popularity, Tolkien written a hardcore fantasy with some well-broaden characters, in Lewis case, he written a fantasy story, more suited to children, with keeping funny and magical elements.

i like both the writers in their own way, kudos to both!!!

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim What a beautiful review, Dyuti! Wonderfully well done.:)

Dyuti Jim wrote: "What a beautiful review, Dyuti! Wonderfully well done.:)"

Thank you so much Him. It was really kind of you to read it and comment! :)

message 8: by Jim (new)

Jim Thanks Dyuti!:D

message 9: by Srinivas (new) - added it

Srinivas Jim wrote: "Thanks Dyuti!:D"

sorry, finding ur typing mistakes,

u typed "Him" instead "Jim"

Richard The nice thing about The Chronicles of Narnia is that they can be enjoyed on many levels. But I think they also made Christianity interesting for children (and even adults) who knew about the religious aspect of the story. Especially since in the old days there were many religious books for children that were not fun to read!

message 11: by Jim (new)

Jim Great points, Richard! The movies are popular in my household, and for many reasons.

No worries over typos, Srinivas and Dyuti. The message came through, and we all make mistakes.:)

message 12: by Henry (new)

Henry Avila Great review and touching too,Dyuti.

Dyuti Thanks Henry for taking the time out to stop by and comment. :)