Joel Howard's Reviews > Leviathan Wakes

Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey

M_50x66
Jun 18, 12

It's impossible to rate this book too highly. Leviathan Wakes is a contender for best space opera I've ever read. Things start out slowly, but the mystery begins building right away. Corey executes that difficult balance needed for good mystery; he reveals enough to keep you interested and to keep the story progressing, but without giving anything away too early. Too many times in mystery I either feel that I've already uncovered the 'mystery' as soon as a few details are revealed, or I'm bored because everything being shown will obviously be thrown away later so the 'real' story can be revealed. In Leviathan Wakes, all the early details matter, and they hint *just* enough at the outcome to make you feel like you're making progress.

That's probably the most specific good thing I can say about Leviathan Wakes, but it's not the book's strongest point - that'd have to be the writing itself. This is just an excellent story told with unusual skill. Reminsicent of Stephen King at his best, this was one of my few recent reads that actually made me sit back and think "This is an unusually talented writer".

If you have any ability to tolerate science fiction and detective stories, just read this book, already.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leviathan Wakes.