Joe's Reviews > The Young Atheist's Handbook: Lessons for Living a Good Life Without God

The Young Atheist's Handbook by Alom Shaha

Jun 18, 12

Read in May, 2012

Alom Shaha's first book is part autobiography/part handbook about growing up in a Muslim family and losing faith. Honest, emotional and beautifully written Alom lets us in to his world and shows us how you can live a good life without god. From the death of his mother, the abuse of his father, the troubles associated with going to a predominantly white school and the beauty of falling in love, Alom holds back nothing in slowly explaining how god is not essential in all aspects of life.

Where other writers polemics are about their anger and annoyance at people with faith, Alom focuses on the pure humanity that is within us all and how belief is not required to be a good person. No matter what your personal belief system there are lessons within this book about tolerance and understanding which can be applied.

As someone who grew up in a very religious family and slowly lost his faith; I was initially an 'angry atheist'. The Young Athiest's Handbook has helped me develop a much better philosophy in life. This book makes me strive to be the best person I can be and a much better way at looking at life as a non believer.

I recommend this book highly. Thank you for your bravery and honesty in writing it Alom.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Young Atheist's Handbook.