Carmel (Rabid Reads)'s Reviews > Keeping Secret

Aug 08, 12

bookshelves: favourites, werewolves
Read from June 29 to 30, 2012

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Keeping Secret delivers the story that I'd expected from the previous installment. McQueen's finally growing into her new roles, the love triangle gets a much needed shakedown and this is the wolf-iest book yet. The story is no less action-y than its predecessors but there is a notable shift from assassin drama to powerful supernatural leader dilemmas which is exactly what I wanted to see happen. Prepare yourselves for the new and improved Secret McQueen!

The last three books have all focused on Secret's vampire half while as this story brings her furrier side to the forefront. Finally! The moment I've been waiting for! There are significant differences between the two species and Sierra uses them to her advantage in this installment. The undead are all about "me, me, me" while as wolves are all about the pack. As protector and future Queen, Secret must adapt and learn to put the needs of others before her own and that personal sacrifices are a daily fact of life. Her character goes through some pretty significant changes in Keeping Secret and by the end I was actually proud of how far our little assassin has come.

I didn't think that it was possible for me to detest Lucas any more than I already do but lo and behold, I was wrong. The werewolf king gives douchebag a whole new meaning in this book. He just expects Secret to fall in line and happily go along with whatever hair-brained idea he dreams up. Fans of this series know that our girl is no shrinking violet but apparently Lucas thinks otherwise. Fool! If it were up to McQueen they would get married Vegas-style but because she's trying to be a good Queen she bites her tongue and lets Lucas plan the wedding. That was her first of many mistakes. However, leave it to Lucas to make the dumbest, most obvious faux pas of all time. Secret's reaction is priceless and a re-read worthy moment.

Sierra's writing is gripping no doubt about it; from her killer one-liners at the end of each chapter, to her trademark snark and jaw dropping cliff hangers. She drives her series forward like no other author I've ever read. It's like a freight train, there's no stopping it. Her books are hard to put down and Dean forever leaves readers wanting more.

Keeping Secret is balls-to-the-walls, oh-la-la, no holds barred, pure epicness. I want the next book now, now, now! *stomps feet* Best. Installment. Yet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Keeping Secret.

06/29/2012
33.0% "I'm really diggin' it so far!"
06/30/2012