Werner's Reviews > The Color of Her Panties

Jan 25, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, books-i-own
Read in February, 2009

This is another of Anthony's delightful, witty romps in the fantasy land of Xanth, whose physical geography resembles that of his adopted state of Florida, but whose flora, fauna and human (and semi-human) geography springs wholly from his own zany imagination --assisted by a flair for puns and copious borrowings from classical and world folklore and legend, all with a humorous spin. (See my previous reviews of titles in this series.) Over the years, my wife and I have accumulated various volumes of this series by buying them at our local flea market, so we haven't always purchased and read them with an eye to following the order of the books systematically. Question Quest, the preceding volume which we don't have and skipped, focuses on the life of Good Magician Humfrey; it explains (so our daughter reports :-)) the many bizarre details of his domestic situation,some of which this volume references in passing. (So now, of course, we need to read the preceding book as soon as circumstances permit!)

Despite the title and above description, this book isn't really risque'; Mela Merwoman's panties are often glimpsed only because she's innocently wearing a Freudian slip, an undergarment that often manages to embarrass its wearer. Xanthian characters are actually quite chaste, and the sight of female panties is about as frowned on as it would have been in Victorian England. Also, human babies (and those of most other human-like species) in Xanth actually are delivered by the storks --but the adult behavior for stork-summoning is a secret closely guarded from minors by the Adult Conspiracy. :-) It won't constitute a spoiler for Xanth fans to hear that Anthony wraps up everyone's quests here in his own inimitable fashion.
7 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Color of Her Panties.

02/11 marked as: read

Vicki G My dad got upset when he saw the title of this book, and he's the same age as Piers Anthony-and I'm an adult.
He still didn't like me reading about panties, he said.
I couldn't say anything to that except that the panties were on a demoness and that you'd expect a demoness to be naughty.

message 2: by Werner (last edited Oct 12, 2010 09:07PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Werner Ironically, Anthony's Xanth series is definitely one of the cleanest bodies of contemporary fiction out there, with a very wholesome attitude towards sex and marriage, etc. Your dad's reaction to you reading this book makes one wonder how upset he'd get if you read something that actually is risque'! :-)

Werner This isn't a new review; I just discovered that the first time I saved it, I left out a needed comma. (My proofreading sometimes leaves something to be desired!)