Itsjustme-wendy's Reviews > The Ugly Duchess

The Ugly Duchess by Eloisa James

Jun 19, 12

Read on June 18, 2012

I have very mixed feelings about this book. It started out very light and simple almost too simple. Then got so much better and the more I read the more I liked it. But... then right in the middle there was this huge long graphic sex scene that just ruined it for me! My cute sweet fairy tale went all gross, LOL. Then it got a little slow with some pirate stuff, then got good again. And it did have a good ending. so as you can see I am all over the board with this one. I don't want this to seem like a bad review because its not! I did enjoy the book and certainly did want to continue reading it (I just could have done without the sex). There was actually something very addicting about this story.
There was great character development and I loved Theo! She started out sweet and innocent and very down on herself. As the story developed she became a very strong and self assured woman. It was real nice to see this happen for her. She definitely a very likable person. I didn't really care for James though, before or after (when you read the book you'll know what I mean) he just rubbed me the wrong way.
There were a couple of nice historical fun facts in the story -

"She knew that no one but the poor actually slept together in the same bed. It was unhygienic, and led to restless sleep. Not only that, but one of her governesses had briskly told her that men smelled like goats in the morning and that if a woman didn't put a door between herself and the horrors of that nature, she might find herself pressed under an evil-smelling male body." LOL (how true!)

This book in one to be read purely for the fun of it. Just watch out for that sex scene. Probably not too good for younger readers!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ugly Duchess.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Yodamom I really was disappointed by her last book-The Duke is Mine. It was so depressing and filled with betrayals.
Is this one better, more upbeat ?

Itsjustme-wendy Yodamom wrote: "I really was disappointed by her last book-The Duke is Mine. It was so depressing and filled with betrayals.
Is this one better, more upbeat ?"

Ha! Well... it is upbeat but it is filled with betrayals! That is funny that you should ask that.
Another reviewer said that was what turned her off in this book was that he thought nothing of cheating on her. I don't want to ruin the story for you.
But really I did think it was a cute book all of that aside and it was a very quick read.

Yodamom Thanks. I am going to give it a shot. I do love her story telling.

Itsjustme-wendy Yodamom wrote: "Thanks. I am going to give it a shot. I do love her story telling."

Oh good! I will be curious to see what you think!