Jess Bierschied's Reviews > Crashing Eden

Crashing Eden by Michael Sussman

Jun 18, 12

Read in June, 2012

CRASHING EDEN by Michael Sussman follows Joss, a trouble kid who experiences wondrous things and some not so wondrous things, this is a page turner for sure, but also it brings a new kind of light to Young Adult fiction.

I will admit, when I first started this, I was pretty unsure about it but I did end up enjoying it a lot. I loved that the book kept me reading, there wasn't a time while reading it that I was bored. It was fun, which is a huge bonus to a very original story. The story line to me was interesting, but sometimes it was a little out of my personal interest. As it explores into science my mind wandered a little there but with the tie in of mythology it still kept me going!

I really liked the main character Joss. I think he was a huge bonus for me. He was a straight-up trouble maker, or he at least seemed like one. He had a stint in Juvie and he and his mother were at each other's throats but he was so REAL. Talk about a three dimensional character. He was so incredibly easy to relate to, minus hearing that magical OM, which sounds incredibly enticing! Looking back on childhood, it seems so believable that there was something magical in us as children. I LOVED the family aspect of Joss' life. It was so incredibly easy to relate to and understand!

Overall, I really enjoyed reading this story, the plot was incredibly original and kept me reading. Though it was nice to fly through this, it did make me think a little deeper which was nice. I would definitely suggest this novel for people who like a light variety of fantasy mixed with some light mythology/theology. The characters and the family life is so REALISTIC that you forget about the fantasy aspects. Definitely a book not easily forgotten.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crashing Eden.