Miranda Barnett's Reviews > Fallen

Fallen by Traci L. Slatton

Nov 07, 12

bookshelves: dystopian, e-owned, american-literature, romance
Recommended for: no one
Read from June 14 to 17, 2012

Set in a dystopian future where most of the world is haunted by destructive, people-eating mists, one woman fights not only for her own survival but also for the survival of a number of children that have come into her care. After roaming the countryside and city streets of France, the heroine and her band of children are lucky to encounter a group of men who maintain a camp that will provide them shelter, food, and safety. Upon reaching this camp, the plot begins to worsen for our heroine as cannibalistic groups of men plan a major attack on the fortified camp and her relationship with the camp's leader becomes more and more complicated.

The first chapter of the book was a decent read and prompted me to know more. However, the story and the writing quickly spiraled out of control. The heroine's frequent use of the phrase, "You betcha," came to be distracting and annoying as did the camp leader's constant reply of "cheeky" to things our heroine would say (as they say in the Princess Bride, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means"). The writing was often confusing and left me scratching my head wondering why characters would say/think certain things or why the author would write such an illogical narrative. Moreover, it was very difficult to connect with a heroine who was so emotionally unstable and so fickle in her desires and wants. One moment she hates a particular individual and vows that she never wants to see him again for all of the pain and misery he has caused; upon turning the page, she is screaming for him because she cannot stand to be away from him and will be glad when she can be with him again.

Sadly, I have no plans to read the other books in this series. The story was interesting but the writing was juvenile and annoying.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fallen.