Grete's Reviews > A Walk in the Park

A Walk in the Park by Jill Mansell

Jul 25, 12

bookshelves: print-copy-owned
Read in June, 2012

Review originally published at BookThing!

When she was sixteen, Lara Carson left her home and disappeared. Eighteen years later, she finds herself back again, much to the delight of her old best friend Evie. When an unexpected event causes Lara to extend her stay, she dreads bumping into the gorgeous Flynn Erskine again; her boyfriend back when she was sixteen, and the reason she left in the first place.

One of the most reassuring things about picking up a new Jill Mansell book is that you know what you are going to get. Plot and pacing are generally the same in most chick-lit novels, along with the required happy ending. This might come across as a little boring and predictable but it’s not only what I expect in the genre, but also exactly what I want. The brilliance of a Mansell book then, comes from the characterisations and situations built onto that standard framework. Her ability to make me care about the characters in a very short space of time and be emotionally invested in what happens is second to none.

There are more peripheral characters in this story than usual and I actually really liked how they were linked together, rather than the more typical solution of having them just living in one area. It made for a richer experience and some very comical moments.

Jill Mansell manages to catch personality types perfectly and it’s one of her greatest talents, being able to build believable and realistic characters without going over the top. A Walk in the Park is no exception and even went above and beyond what I consider to be a good read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Walk in the Park.