Bettie☯'s Reviews > Winter's Tale

Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winter's Tale.

Quotes Bettie☯ Liked

Mark Helprin
“The shelf was filled with books that were hard to read, that could devastate and remake one's soul, and that, when they were finished, had a kick like a mule.”
Mark Helprin, Winter's Tale

Mark Helprin
“Give me a night by the fire, with a book in my hand, not that flickering rectangular son of a bitch that sits screaming in every living room in the land.”
Mark Helprin, Winter's Tale

10/13/2008 page 325
42.32% "loving it - many outloud belly laughs, which is not like me at all"
10/14/2008 "Peter Lake is back."
10/16/2008 "I totally agree with the anti TV stance voiced in mayoral election debate"
10/17/2008 "the pool match"
show 2 hidden updates…

Michael I'll need to reread it someday - it's been a LONG TIME.

Bettie☯ hello there Michael - I started reading this thinking it is a recent publication; I usually attempt to shield myself from any and every description of a book, prefering to go in blind and let the material wash over (or grate)me at whim but usually snippets reach the ol' shell-likes. Not in this case; I had never heard of Helprin nor this book so am amazed at the pure brilliance of narration and strong characters and now wonder why the disinterest. Intriguing huh? I shall only investigate further once the last page has been turned.

I am at that wonderful part where Peter is mulling over the colour of Beverley's eyes *le sigh*

Michael A Soldier of the Great War is also good, though not as good as this one.

message 4: by Lee (new) - added it

Lee Ooh Bettie, I have been wanting to read this for a while. I had no idea it was considered Steam Punk!

message 5: by EJD (new)

EJD Dignan Had no idea - may pre-date steam punk~
But heartily agreed with your assessment - a stunning piece of work - his best.

Lorraine Am absolutely loving this, didn't think it would be my sort of thing.

Bettie☯ Lorraine wrote: "Am absolutely loving this, didn't think it would be my sort of thing."

HUZZAH! Good news Lorraine. Have earmarked it as a reread for 2014 as a comfort thing for after a January tackle of Bolaño's 2666.

Bettie☯ Thanks Melki, Diane, Erwin
:O)

Still haven't got around to 2666 yet I am thoroughly enjoying this re-visit. Roll on Valentine's Day!

Bettie☯ Thanks Pat, GoldCato
:O)

Bettie☯ Thanks Wanda. I see Jessica Brown Findlay (Lady Sybil from Downton) plays Beverley Penn in the film.

Bettie☯ Thanks Louisa, *Ingeborg*

Bettie☯ Thanks Little

Bettie☯ Thanks Brian, Don, Linda, Carey
:O)

message 15: by Lada Fleur (last edited Oct 29, 2014 12:56PM) (new)

Lada Fleur It sounds very interesting. If you take into account Shakespeare's. I would certainly love reading it