Missc's Reviews > Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend

Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Dicks

Jul 03, 12

bookshelves: first-reads
Read from June 29 to July 03, 2012

I had been lucky enough to win this book through a giveaway, but rest assured, my review and rating is not corrupted by that in any means. Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend is a very unique read. The perspective was very original, I mean how often are stories told from an imaginary friend's point of view? ;) This isn't usually the type of genre I read, but there was something in the idea of the book that kept me interested.

I really enjoyed the narrator, Budo. I loved how he was mature yet still held the naivety that came with being created by Max. The beginning of the book made me wonder what all these seemingly random facts and stories about Max had any relevance to the story, but by the end of the book it all added up and aided in overall character development and understanding.

By the middle of the book, I was not able to put it down. I found myself trying to read faster because I wanted to find out what was happening ASAP. The climax of the book really reeled me in and by the end of the book I grew attached to the characters and even shed a tear or two when the book ended.

Something that confused me a little bit was how the author would overuse certain phrases, I wasn't sure if they were inserted in for emphasis or what..?

Overall, I wouldn't give this novel a solid 5/5 stars, but I really did find myself enjoying this a lot, so I would give this 4.5/5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend.

06/29/2012 page 18
6.0% "Never read a book like this before. Interesting!"
07/03/2012 page 320
100.0% "Omg I loved this!! Will post a review ASAP!! :)"
show 4 hidden updates…