Ashley's Reviews > Scarlet

bookshelves: arc, physical-arc
Read from December 30, 2012 to January 01, 2013

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer - I see that you're in need of an accomplice

BookNook — Young Adult book reviews

THIS BOOK! THIS. BOOK! THIS. BOOK. IS. SO. AMAZING!!

Scarlet was one of my most highly anticipated (maybe the most highly anticipated) 2013 reads.. and it ROCKED! It didn't disappoint at all, and it doesn't suffer from Second Book Syndrome at all, and Wolf it rocked my Lunar universe COMPLETELY!

One of my favourite parts of this book is Wolf the alternating points of view. I LOVE how we read from Scarlet's POV, Cinder's POV, Kai's POV, Thorne's POV, and even crazy bitch queen's POV! Basically everyone! We get to see so many different sides to the story like Wolf's sexiness, different reactions, and different interpretations. We follow different story lines until it all comes together EPICLY at the end! Both Scarlet and Cinder's stories play really important roles. They each have their own goals and missions, but they end up intersecting.

To be honest, I do think I could have benefitted from re-reading Cinder before starting Scarlet . Marissa Meyer does a pretty good job of recapping the events in Cinder, but it had been so long since I'd read it that I still feel like I was missing out on a few things. It would have been better and easier if all the events were still fresh in my memory.

Scarlet is officially one of my favourite characters EVER! Honestly, I might even like her more than Cinder, and that's saying something! She's incredibly selfless and determined, sweet when she wants to be, ruthless when she needs to be, and isn't afraid to stand up for herself, her family, or what she believes to be right. She's intelligent, and spunky, and I love everything about her! In the first scene she has a throwing-tomatos-rage-fest. That made me love her right away LOL! And when people are being stupid jerkfaces who buy into everything the media feeds them, Scarlet has no problem standing up on the bar table, shutting off the TV, and bitching at a bar full of drunken morons. That takes guts. Scarlet reminds me a lot of Cinder; they both have take-no-crap attitudes and they're both incredibly strong characters overall. Oh, and Scarlet carries a gun. Yes, she's a badass.

Thorne, Cinder's travelling companion, is like the Scarlet version of Han Solo. He's handsome, kind of arrogant, in love with his ship, and a bit of a big baby at times! I LOVED his character! Sometimes I hated him because he was such an arrogant self-obsessed jerkface, but he's the kind of guy that you can't help but smile at.. because he's so self absorbed that it's almost cute LOL! Also, don't worry, there is no Cinder-Kai-Thorne love triangle (I personally was a bit worried about that, but luckily it never came).

And then there's Wolf.. OMG WOLF! How I loveth thou. Have my babies and my love and my soul. Because I love you. Wolf is an insanely sexy beast (hahah). He's definitely the strong, mysterious, silent type. Scarlet and Wolf meet fairly early on in the story and they become travelling companions. He's a total badass, but also has a more sensitive side buried deep down. I mean he's a street fighter. He can kill people with his bare hands. And his name is Wolf. WOLF! He practically has fangs. Obviously, since this is a Little Red Riding Hood retelling, we know that Wolf is some sort of evil guy who ate her grandmother. But it's constantly hard to tell what his true motives are, and that's what really hooked me into the story. I kept trying to figure him out. And oh boy, his story plays out EPICLY! And the end... *fans self* My god, I was salivating.

Scarlet left off in a great place, and I already know that the third book—Cress—is going to be amazing. With an ending like that, how could it not be? But I'm actually struggling to figure out how I'll maintain my sanity after having to wait an entire YEAR to read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scarlet.

12/30/2012 page 11
2.0% "Oh, epicness <3"
12/30/2012 page 12
2.0% "Scarlet is so totally spunky.. I LOVE HER! She just had a throwing tomatos ragefest. Kind of wish I could do that."
12/30/2012 page 21
4.0% "Here they were, both outcasts. Unwanted. Crazy.
Pulse thrumming, she buried the thought. This man was trouble. He fought people for a living—or perhaps even for fun. She wasn't sure which was worse.

He's yummy." 2 comments
12/30/2012 page 28
6.0% ""What's your name anyway?"
That awkward shrug again. "They call me Wolf at the fights."

Oh, Wolf. I can tell you're a sexy beast."
12/30/2012 page 36
7.0% ""I can see that you're in need of an accomplice," Thorne said, straightening his jumpsuit. "And lucky for you, I happen to be a criminal mastermind."
[Cinder] glowered at him. "Go away."
12/31/2012 page 82
17.0% "Wolf's fighting = hot."
12/31/2012 page 107
23.0% ""We're having another moment, aren't we?"
"If by moment you mean me not wanting to strangle you for the first time since we met, then I guess we are." Cinder slumed back on the floor.
12/31/2012 page 131
28.0% ""You better bring my grandmother back, and I swear on the house I was born in if you've hurt one hair, one wrinkle, one freckle on her body I am going to hunt every last one of you down and snap your necks like the chickens you are, do you understand me? BRING HER BACK!"

LOL I love Scarlet."
01/01/2013 page 197
42.0% ""if this was her decision to decide who she was, who she wanted to be, then the first decision was an easy one.

She would never be like Queen Levana."

I love you, Cinder!"
01/01/2013 page 216
46.0% "He blinked up at Scarlet. "Did you just shoot me?"
"You didn't leave me much choice."

LMAO SCARLET I LOVE YOU!!"
01/01/2013 page 229
49.0% "OMG!!!!!!!!!!"
01/01/2013 page 242
52.0% "HOLY SHIT THIS IS MY FAVOURITE PAGE!!!"
01/01/2013 page 263
56.0% "Awww"
01/01/2013 page 271
58.0% ""What's stupid is not that I'm going to try and protect you," Wolf said, pulling his focus back down to her. "What's stupid is that I almost believe it will make a difference.""
01/01/2013 page 284
61.0% "SQUEEE!!! I still love Wolf."
01/01/2013 page 333
71.0% "Lunar.
Cyborg.
Fugitive.
Outlaw.
Outcast.
01/01/2013 page 340
73.0% "Wow that was hot."
01/01/2013 page 398
85.0% "Holy shit, it's like a zombie apocalypse"
01/01/2013 page 420
90.0% "NO, KAI!!"
01/01/2013 page 444
95.0% "OMG. I love you Wolf. What you just said is so sweet."
01/01/2013 page 449
96.0% "AHAHAHAHAHAHA @ IKO!!!" 2 comments
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen Ryland LOL -- just posted my review and I also said I was getting such a Han Solo vibe from Thorne. I like him much better than Kai :)

Ashley Haha! :D They are really different, but Thorne is definitely a character!