Kris's Reviews > Girl Out Loud

Girl Out Loud by Emily Gale

Jun 19, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: contemporary, books-reviewed

Kass Kennedy has a unique, slightly over-the-top personality. While interacting with the real world around her, she plays game shows and holds imaginary conversations with Simon Cowell in her mind. It's easy to tell when she's doing this, as the worlds are in italics. Her whole world is one big drama. Her dad is bipolar, and when he's not down in the dumps he's set on making Kass a star. Her mom is never there for her, her kid brother won't help her (he's too busy making money through not-very-legal methods), and her best friends are preoccupied with their own problems.

At first, I had trouble getting into the story with Kass's inner conversations interrupting the flow and her own personality over dramatizing her life (for valid reasons). Once I adjusted to Kass's voice and the plotlines connected, however, I was able to relate to Kass. Everyone has times when they freak out over little details or feel alienated from the rest of the family. Kass thinks that her mom likes her brother better, and Raff is jealous that their dad fawns over Kass, as troublesome as they know it is for Kass. My brother and I go through these kinds of phases as well, though we know our parents care about both of us. It's just hard sometimes not to think that parents play favorites.

Of course, there are frustrating moments. Kass makes a lot of naive decisions, which I entirely get. Fifteen is the age for teen angst that only seem funny and nonsensical when you're older; it is the age for making silly decisions and placing all the blame either on others or yourself. Char is one of Kass's best friends and supposed to be sweet, but she gets angry at Kass over a crush. Not to mention that Dream Boy is eighteen and they're fifteen. While the age different becomes less importance as you grow older, eighteen and fifteen is a bit creepy. I did appreciate how the romance is more of a side note to the bigger issues in her world, and it wraps up realistically.

Kass doesn't make the best decisions at first, and she blames herself for a lot of things that aren't her fault. Over the course of the novel, however, she will learn how to make her own decisions and make a stand for herself. Girl Out Loud is a short, sweet contemporary read about how a mental disorder can affect a family, overcoming the drama in life, and discovering your self-identity. It is about family, friendship, and first love. And there is teen angst, a whole lot of drama, and humor. Plenty of humor.

Review at Imaginary Reads

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl Out Loud.