Hex's Reviews > Blameless

Blameless by Gail Carriger

Jun 17, 12

bookshelves: lgbt-characters, lycanthropes, steampunk, strigoi, england
I own a copy

Words cannot express how much I love this series. I finished Changeless and wanted to strangle Conall so badly that when my Da decided to go to the city to go to Lenscrafters, I pleaded to go to Barnes & Noble to pick up Blameless.

The book did not disappoint at all. While the side characters aren't necessarily fleshed out as I would like, we get so much more explanation about preternaturals and supernaturals, the Templars, The Order of the Brass Octopus -- and why the series is called The Parasol Protectorate.

In this foray into the world of Lady Alexia Tarrabotti Maccon, she has been ejected from Woolsey, and living at home until news of her condition reaches polite society. She is forced to leave London, her position as muhjah and the protection of both pack and Queen removed. She decides to head to Italy to try and discover more about preternaturals and her condition from the people who know best -- the Templars. This is only hurried on by the desires of many vampires to kill her, and homicidal clockwork ladybugs.

She is accompanied by the loyal Floote and the irrepressible Genevieve Lefoux, while Ivy Tunstell (Yay, my little shipper heart was much pleased) takes over Genevieve's shop in their absence.

Meanwhile, Conall has been living in a state of inebriation from drinking formaldehyde (which reminded me of the habit of marijuana smokers soaking their joints in the stuff for a similar effect) leaving the Pack in disarray and in the overworked hands of Professor Lyall. Add to this the worrying complete and total disappearance of the usually impossible-to-ignore Lord Alkeldama, and the fact that pesto was created as a weapon against vampires and werewolves and this book is a fantastic hard-to-put-down read.

A lot of reviewers were against how quickly Alexia reconciled with Connall, but I found it appropriate, especially since she let's it be known that she's far from done -- and his distance was hurting her terribly.

Oh, and it led to a brilliant quote I think describes Alexia perfectly:

"Couldn't I just whack him once? Just a little one, over the head? He would hardly notice."

I love Alexia.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blameless.