jenjn79's Reviews > Dylan

Dylan by Linda Lael Miller

May 05, 09

bookshelves: author-linda-lael-miller, 2009, info-full, reviewed, genre-romance-contemporary, published-2009, stars-4, series-creeds
Recommended to jenjn79 by: continuation of a series
Read in May, 2009

I jumped right into this book after finishing the first book in the series. And then I spent most of my free time yesterday reading because this book was just as good - maybe even a little better - than the first book.

Montana Creeds: Dylan is the second book in the Montana Creeds series about the 3 Creed brothers (distant cousins of the McKettricks) who have been estranged for years. I wouldn't recommend reading this book as a standalone or the series out of order. The books are pretty heavily connected and need to be read in order for everything to make sense.

Dylan Creed hadn't ever planned to return to his hometown of Stillwater Springs for longer than a day visit - not after the fall-out with his brothers and then losing his girl. But now he's suddenly a full-time Dad after his ex-girlfriend dumps their daughter in Dylan's truck and runs. So Dylan does the only thing he can think to do - go home. He and his older brother Logan have made progress lately, and now he needs Logan's help to make sure he can keep his daughter.

One look at the girl he lost, though, and Dylan realizes he wants sweet, sexy librarian Kristy Madison back as well. Kristy tries to resist at first, but the love she still feels for Dylan, and his adorable daughter draws her to them. To make things more complicated, an old crime involving Kristy's father has come to light, and now somebody seems to have it out for Kristy. And Dylan will do whatever it takes to protect her.

I'm really enjoying this new series by Linda Lael Miller. It's got a little bit of everything - family, feuding, love, a smidge of suspense and mystery. And great characters.

In the last book, I thought the romance was a little understated, but in this one, the romance is much more prominent. There's a lot of time spent with Dylan and Kristy and I enjoyed reading about them. I thought Dylan's internal emotions could have been a little better conveyed, but overall, the romance of the book was very solid.

The sub-stories of the book - the revelation of a crime committed by Kristy's father, a body found, and some random acts of violence - give the story some variety. And like the first book, I found this one to be very readable with its smooth pacing and flow.

If I had to knitpick, there are two things: one being that in neither of the first two books have the ages of the characters been mentioned. You get a general idea, but no actual number. That, along with some other details, makes me feel at times like the timeline from past to present is a little off. And the second thing: my 2-year-old niece is very advanced, or Dylan's 2-year-old daughter in the book is a bit behind. The way little Bonnie was written made her seem more like a year old than two.

But those are knitpicky things. Otherwise, I really enjoyed this book. It's interesting to read about 3 brothers who are so at odds with each other but are now working things out. Both books 1 & 2 so far have just been very engaging and I look forward to reading the 3 books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dylan.