Caly's Reviews > Zombies Vs. Unicorns

Zombies Vs. Unicorns by Holly Black

Jun 17, 12

bookshelves: zombies, young-adult, anthologies, fantasy, modern, period
Recommended to Caly by: Laura

This was one of the first recs from the friendly Pittsburgh reccing machine, but one i didn't read right away. (It was expensive at my Barnes & Noble and I wasn't sure about it.) However, I am really very glad that I finally got around to finishing it. There are some real stand-out short stories in this book, and a lot of the writing is top-notch.

I went in thinking that was going to be firmly on the side of Team Unicorn, because I had always loved them growing up, and really, how much can you do with zombies that hasn't already been done? Apparently, the answer is a lot, and you'll never look at macaroni and cheese the same way again. This touches on all the "types" of zombies, from re-animate lost souls, to revenant still clinging to their mind and/or sanity, to virals who may or may not be dead. They also manage to throw in a satire of Scientology.

Which is not to say that Team Unicorn didn't do anything strong, new or interesting. It definitely pushed boundaries, from killer unicorns to the symbols of justice, from period to modern. The voices of the unicorns are as varied as the stories themselves going from snarky to lovelorn to confident. These aren't your run-of-the-mil unicorns, that's for sure.

So, in the end, I declare this battle a firmly held tie, with maybe the edge going to the zombies. Read it for yourself, and decide where you stand.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zombies Vs. Unicorns.