Karolyn Sherwood's Reviews > On the Island

On the Island by Tracey Garvis-Graves

Jun 17, 12

Read in June, 2012

I bought this book for two reasons. First, I try to make a point of reading others' debut novels so I can see what is selling and what other writers are up to. Second, Ms. Garvis- Graves lives only about fifteen minutes away from me and she just inked a "good" seven figure deal for this novel, it's movie rights, and I believe, her next novel. Not bad for a mom-writer from Des Moines.

So, what did I think? I think Ms. Garvis-Graves is a smart woman. This is no classic, erudite tome (I read it in a few hours' time), but this is what the public wants. Blue Lagoon meets Lost. On The Island is a sweet story with a happy ending (that's not a spoiler because many readers will have different opinions about what that means). The dialogue is sophomoric, and the book would benefit by being 75 pages shorter, in my opinion, but it's a great "beach read." Her writing is far superior to that of Stephenie Meyer!

So, kudos to Ms. Garcia-Graves on her achievement. I'd give Five Stars on her concept, sticktoitiveness and marketing ability, but I have to say Three Stars on the novel itself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On the Island.