Karolyn Sherwood's Reviews > Gone Girl

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Jul 07, 12

bookshelves: ebook
Read from July 04 to 07, 2012

Wow. I just finished this book and I have so many conflicting emotions that I had to write this review immediately.

First, the story is extremely compelling and well-written (except for a couple points I'll make in a moment). Flynn alternates short, intense chapters from the two main characters. From the very beginning, the husband, Nick, and the wife, Amy, have mostly contradictory recollections of their marriage (Amy's chapters are excerpts from her diary because it opens with her missing). Nick, of course, being the primary suspect in her disappearance. Flynn does an excellent job of hinting at various minor characters with potentially nefarious motives; possible red herrings, if you will. I like that in a book. At this point I found it an exciting whodunit.

The book is divided into three parts, and each break is a major twist in the tale of Nick and Amy. Saying too much right here would definitely spoil the story... so I won't. I liked the book a lot until (it's very difficult to put down... until) I had about 100 pages to go (my e-version had 507 pgs). At that point, Flynn lost me. The characters who started out as so "relatable" became caricatures (at least one of them). And then the ending... Sorry, but I hated it. I found it completely bizarre and improbable. But then, maybe it was appropriate for the caricatures and Flynn knows much better than I do about how a story like this really would end.

Like I said above, the novel is well-written; Flynn is a talented writer. But, she jumps from 1st POV to 2nd POV just often enough that it's very jarring. I suppose she and her agent and/or editor made the judgement call here, but it still didn't work for me. I also thought the verb tenses jumped around in Part 2 when they shouldn't have. One of my pet peeves, I guess.

Three stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone Girl.

07/04/2012 page 20
5.0% "I'm reading this book for Real Simple Magazine's No-obligation Book Club. Go to realsimple.com to join in!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joseph (new) - added it

Joseph Michael Owens Well now I'm super curious! Roxane Gay, whom I admire fiercely, also had mixed feelings about this book (her review here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...), but it sounds like it's definitely one I need to check out for myself!!