Stephanie Cowart's Reviews > The Woman at the Light

The Woman at the Light by Joanna Brady

Jun 30, 12

bookshelves: arc
Read from June 17 to 20, 2012

I received a copy of this book for review from the publisher via NetGalley.
This is a great example of what good historical fiction should be. There was a compelling story, interesting characters and a well-researched time period.
The story was told as a flashback through a woman remembering her life. I really enjoyed the time period and learning about how Florida was settled and developed. The occupation of a light house keeper was a highly valued one in that time due the huge amount of trade done via boat. I loved how the light houses became an important character in the story because of their symbolism and significance.
The mystery surrounding her husband's disappearance was well-developed. I thought it would take center stage for the novel but I was mistaken. I liked how the author used it to go back later and explain so many things.
Emily's fortitude and endurance through horrific circumstances were qualities that endeared her to me and caused me to root for her and desire a happy ending after all she goes through.
The novel was engrossing and compelling. Highly recommended for historical fiction lovers!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Woman at the Light.