Neil Pearson's Reviews > Caliban's War

Caliban's War by James S.A. Corey

M_50x66
Aug 04, 12

Read from June 17 to 30, 2012 — I own a copy

This is a solid follow up to the excellent "leviathan wakes". The cast is expanded in this book to four POV. To be honest I felt like two of them were only ok, in the form of the botanist Prax and the martian supermarine Bobbie. That said, the other new edition, Avasarala, steals pretty much every scene she is in and was by far my favourite character which is refreshing considering she is an old foul-mouthed politician. Holden has a slightly different character arc in this book and for the majority of the book he is dealing with what happened in the previous book and i still like how his idealism actually makes him (often unwittingly) very dangerous. This installment does a good job fleshing out the supporting cast, particularly Holden's crew who I didn't feel were that distinguishable in the first book but leave this one as defined individuals. It's a shame we didn't get more of the OPA leader as he is clearly a major player in the overall story.
The plot is thankfully self-contained but still feels a little bit like a middle-book in that I suspect something far bigger is on the way - most likely involving Venus and if the end of the book is a real event, rather than a dream, I'll be very much looking forward to the next installment.
Not as enjoyable as the first book but that's partly because I'm now familiar with the set-up. This is still shaping up to be an enjoyable space-opera though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Caliban's War.