Alaine's Reviews > Bend In The Road

bookshelves: general-fiction
Recommended to Alaine by: Annie Bucknall
Recommended for: Nicholas Spark fans
Read in November, 2008 , read count: 1

Some stories don't have happy endings and some do. This one of course can't really have a happy ending because a wife and mother have died. But, this book tells the story of a man's journey through grief, and anyone who has been through the loss of a loved one knows that the pain never ends. Nicholas Sparks did a wonderful job of reminding us of that, it was not a week love story, someone dies, someone else comes along and they live happily ever after. Instead it spoke clearly of the struggle and inner turmoil of a man wanting to get on with his life but never really being able to let go. He had the flashbacks and constant memories that we all have when going through grief. This aspect of the book was excellent and could not be faulted.
Whilst I loved the character of Sarah I struggled to make that emotional connection to Miles. For me I found him to be a little bit of a typical macho kind of guy and that at times annoyed me. I will say however that it is possible that I had this issue because I listened to this book on audio and sometimes the droning of characters can get on your nerves. This is however the reason I gave the book a rating of 3 (although, it would be 3 1/2 if it where possible) and not higher, I just didn't fall in love with the main character the way that I wanted to.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bend In The Road.

11/04/2008 page 150 "Not sure about this book. It is an interesting story but I'm not sure that I like where the story is going."
05/05/2016 marked as: read

Annie Great review!! I agree it wasn't my favourite Sparks novel but it was still enjoyable enough that I had to know how it would end.

Stav Although I agree with you that Miles was portrayed as a typical "macho" guy, I found his situation extremely relatable. The grief he endures from losing his wife, who was so young, is already hard enough but when you add his guilt of being a cop and still not being able to solve her murder, it's so easy to sympathize for him. Personally, I think Nicholas Sparks developed Miles's character to perfectly fit his situation, especially with the constant idea that he is drowning and can't find a way out, until Sarah comes along. This September, I lost my Aunt to cancer and I felt as though some one threw me into a small hole with no chance of escape. For the first time I understood Miles's pain and suffering, not to mention his rage against not only the alleged killers, but also himself. Then a light shone down into my tunnel with a hand outstretched to save me, this hand being my best friend's. And again I came to grips with just how much Sarah saved and helped Miles through such a horrific experience and how she became his emotional rock.