Jamie's Reviews > Three Junes

Three Junes by Julia Glass

219514
Nov 15, 07

Recommended for: Christine--because I told her about it last night at dinner
Read in July, 2004

I had this book for a long time and never got around to reading it but when I did I couldn't put it down. She does an amazing job of weaving one life into another and all the descriptions were incredible. I loved it.
I was telling my friend, Christine, about this book last night dinner dinner. We were eating greek food and she mentioned how she'd been reading magazines about vacation homes and that having a home in Greece, if shared by others, would actually be quite affordable. Needless to say, I support this notion whole-heartedly and would love to own a villa in greece. That being said, I thought I'd write a review of this book.
It was really beautiful, honestly it was. I'm big on saying I love women writers but that's not entirely true, though Julia Glass is, as her name dictates, a female. However, it's this poetic style prose I really go for--male or female, I'm ultimately indifferent, though I'd be lying if I said I don't find female insights more intriguing than male (makes sense, doesn't it? I did add Counterpoint to my book list, as it's one of the few male-written books that does a decent job with male view point and complexities. I read things like Ask the Dust or Bukowski and want to just throttle my boyfriend...nobody can be that base--boos, boobs, blah. My boyfirend certain isn't and I get the impression it's a macho misnomer. Men only WANT to seem simple.)
I digress as always, but this book is largely narrated by a male, living in NYC's west village. He's homosexual and grew up in Scottland and the book divides time between him and his father, who's vacationing in Greece after the death of his wife, and Finny, the other narrator's mother. They both reflect on Maureen and her own complexities--the differences between her as a wife, as a mother, etc. When she was there, when she was vacant and the idea of life moving forward without her but her overwhelming presence for everyone.
I think it reminds me a little of Howard's End...same sort of prose-style and family-oriented, sort of transcendentalism...very nature/mother oriented. But, it was stark and lovely in that prose-style I crave, filled with simple pleasures, gardens and birds, white walls and grains of sand. I seem to remember hay lofts and barns, which makes sense--I find those things incredibly appealing for someone who chooses to live in cities...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Three Junes.