Ellen's Reviews > The Demigod Files

The Demigod Files by Rick Riordan

Jun 20, 12

Read on June 17, 2012

I finished this collection of short stories inside of an hour and was really glad I didn't pay much for this e-book. Unlike the rest of the series, this companion isn't worth more than a couple bucks, in my opinion. Don't get me wrong. Fans of Percy Jackson will enjoy the short stories and it is worth a quick read, but don't break the bank to get it. I didn't get much out of the map or the character descriptions. I especially didn't like the drawings of the characters. They certainly don't look so cartoony in my mind. The interviews were mildly interesting, but I didn't learn anything I hadn't suspected or already knew from the stories themselves. Of the three short stories included, here are my thoughts:

Percy Jackson and the Stolen Chariot - I enjoyed seeing more interaction between Percy and Clarisse and the new characters of Phobos and Deimos are excellent. There were several nice references back to earlier stories and it seemed well connected with the rest of the series. It ended up being my second-most favorite of the short story trio.

Percy Jackson and the Bronze Dragon - This was my least favorite of the three. It was harder to connect to the rest of the series, not as easy to follow, and it seemed as if some of the characters did not act true to form. That would have been ok if the reason for the departure were explained better. This might have been better suited to a longer story allowing for more development.

Percy Jackson and the Sword of Hades - The best story in the bunch! I loved seeing Thalia, Nico, and Percy reunited in a believable fashion, the addition of Persephone, the river Lethe, and Bob. I just loved Bob. Having the sword in play for future stories will be valuable too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Demigod Files.