Parallax's Reviews > Dark Thirst

Dark Thirst by Omar Tyree

U 50x66
Oct 24, 2008

bookshelves: fiction, short-stories, 2008-read, fiction-poc, horror, specfic-poc, vampires, author-poc
Read in October, 2008

Dark Thirst is a mixed bag of short stories that put an African-American spin on vampires. The most notable stories for me were:

Monica Jackson's The Ultimate Diet, for linking vampirism with crash diets, the desire for a magic bullet to be skinny in order to be beautiful in order to live a glamorous life. Of course, there's a price. The tone was funny, fast-paced, and full of fun pop culture references.

Angela C. Allen's Vamp Noir was a good version of the supernatural/dark urban fantasy/paranormal/Whatever We're Calling It These Days genre. I have a soft spot for the genre, and Allen made it fresh again. The style was reminiscent of Raymond Chandler, the plot was suitably hardboiled about an exiled female vampire working for the mafia and trying to figure out who's killing off members. What made the short story was later finding out the vampire's end game, and ambition. I wouldn't mind if there's more to the story, but it holds up on its own.

Linda Addison's Whispers During Still Moments felt like a chopped up version of a longer story. The worldbuilding with the two types of vampires and the use of words had a lot of potential for more. I also liked how diverse the characters were--the majority were African-American of course, the vampire/human was Chinese-American and in a serious inter-racial relationship with an African-American woman, and there was a Native American shaman. While I wasn't taken with the story, I'd be willing to look the author up to see what she's like in longer works of fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Thirst.