Dana Stabenow's Reviews > Alice: Alice Roosevelt Longworth, from White House Princess to Washington Power Broker

Alice by Stacy A. Cordery

Mar 22, 10

Read in February, 2009

I'm about 130 pages in, and I've come to two conclusions:

1. Stacy Cordery is a very good writer, and I'm looking forward to reading others of her books.

2. Either Alice Roosevelt was one of the most irritating adolescents who ever lived or Cordery was seduced by so much extant source material. If I have to read another diary entry gushing over some guy (whose name changed daily) I will vomit.

Alice is now about to get married and I'm hoping it will mature her a little, but at this point I'm so annoyed with her I'm putting her down for a while to read Minette Walters' Acid Row.

-----

update on February 24th:

After I finished Fox Evil (and The Blue Hour by T. Jefferson Parker and a few other books besides) I went back and started reading this book again. Very soon I began skipping, and you know? I've got a whole bunch of books on my to-read shelf I'd rather be reading. Alice is just not someone I want to spend any more time with. I will look for other books by this author, however, because she is very good.

(This book reminds me of my experience with Marion Meade's bio of Dorothy Parker. By the end of it I couldn't stand Dorothy, and I wanted to read everything else that Meade has ever written.)
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alice.

message 1: by Sue (new)

Sue From what I've read about Alice Roosevelt Longworth, she was a spoiled brat from the beginning and her marriage to Nicholas Longworth apparently didn't change her. She was just as annoying as she grew older.

Candice You took the words right out of my mouth! I just don't have the energy to pick this back up.