Darlene's Reviews > Red Leaves and the Living Token

Red Leaves and the Living Token by Benjamin David Burrell

Jun 25, 12

bookshelves: bookrooster-for-review, fantasy, adventure, action, aliens, complimentary-copy, free-for-review, kindle, kindle-books-i-own, not-loanable, text-to-speech-enabled, young-adult, children
Recommended to Darlene by: BookRooster.com
Recommended for: Ralph, Xural
Read on June 24, 2012, read count: Once

Now, this was different! I almost put it down several times. I just couldn't get into it. That is where text-to-speech helps the most. I let it continue to read to me while I did other things and suddenly I was into it. I thought I would never be able to keep track of the cast of characters. I didn't like that it seemed about power, men and wars. But suddenly there is the father by his son's bedside in a hospital. The son is dying. That's when the story became interesting.

I thought at first that the author was taking the story back and forward in time. But then I realized that it was just different fronts that will merge toward the end.

This is a good book for older children on up. Boys would particularly like it, I would assume. As a female I was offended that the females didn't play more than minor roles. I think I can count two females in the whole story. I did like them though. One risked everything to follow her conscience and her daughter was braver than everyone else in the book.

What an interesting planet! And the cast of beings was marvelous! And I loved how the author addressed the situation of future famine and how the rich shouldn't be selected or all would parish.

I am glad I got the opportunity to read this complimentary copy to review from BookRooster dot com. I would never had picked it up on my own. Though the cover picture is interesting, it still wouldn't have been enough to grab me. But I am glad I got the chance to read something a little out of my comfort zone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Leaves and the Living Token.