Frances Kelly's Reviews > The Pilot's Wife

The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve

9191814
Jun 17, 12

bookshelves: owned, selected-by-cce

I liked this book, and so did most of my book discussion group. We found it rather gut-wrenching and not entirely credible, although I guess these things do happen. It is an interesting enough study of what happens when the difficult work of mourning is complicated by being clouded with a very painful revelation. Yet, somehow, I never really got "lost" in it - I was always at least somewhat aware that I was reading a book. I can't give a book four or five stars unless I experience a pretty significant degree of "book disorientation," meaning, I get so lost in the story, I almost forget who I am and where I am and what is going on in the real world around me. When the phone rings or the dog barks or I realize I have to use the bathroom, I have to blink a few times and detach myself from the story and look around and re-orient myself. Well, I never quite got there with this book. But it is a fascinating exploration into mixed feelings and the aftermath of trauma. Maybe it was just me and whatever was going on with me at the time.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pilot's Wife.