Alexia Purdy's Reviews > Lichgates

Lichgates by S.M. Boyce

Jul 17, 12

bookshelves: arr-review, fantasy, reviewed, so-can-t-wait-to-read, some-sort-of-paranormal
Read from June 17 to July 16, 2012

This book was provided to me by the author for free in exchange for an honest review via the ARR program for The Nexus group on Goodreads.
You can see my review on my blog: http://alexiapurdy.blogspot.com/2012/...

Wow, the world building on this one was breathtaking. The world of Ourea is just full of so many things. Surprises are around every corner! Kara stumbles into this parallel world and finds herself becoming a Vagabond: A legendary and special being who has the ability to call a book called a Grimoire into her hands and ask it anything, it answers. She doesn’t want the job, but has no choice in the matter. She also acquires magical powers and allies that want to help her bring peace to the tumultuous land of Ourea. Ends up with some pretty harrowing enemies too. Along with Braedon Drakonin, a blood heir who is to assume the throne of the Stele, the most feared kingdom in all of Ourea, she embarks on the adventure of a lifetime. It has magic, suspense, and so many magical creatures and beings, definitely a world you can get lost in.

This book was a bit slow paced in the first half, world building and characterization can do that. I found that after the first half I was pretty absorbed into the story. The characters grow on you. They are rich and pleasantly presented. It is a large cast that is not overshadowed by any which one, each one has their part, and they play it well. This was a highly imaginative read and I desperately want to know what else is in store for Kara and Braeden, many questions are left hanging at the end of the story. This is a trilogy I believe so I assume these will be answered in future books. Can’t wait!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lichgates.

Quotes Alexia Liked

S.M. Boyce
“The time will come when you will doubt everything you stand for, but you must push forward and never stop. Do not let others speak for you, or you will lose your voice forever.” ~The Grimoire”
S.M. Boyce, Lichgates