Maxwell Heath's Reviews > Bakuman, Volume 9: Talent and Pride

Bakuman, Volume 9 by Tsugumi Ohba

Jun 17, 12

bookshelves: manga
Read on June 17, 2012

I think this is where I'm going to step off the Bakuman train. While I really enjoyed Death Note, and I liked the first few volumes of this, I'm no longer interested in Bakuman at all. The characters aren't very good, for one thing. Whereas a large part of the excitement in Death Note comes from the rivalry between Light and L, the rival character in this story is bland. He seems like an attempt to adapt L's eccentricity, but that fails here because unlike L, Nizuma doesn't really have anything else that makes him interesting or relatable. The same applies to the protagonists, who are fairly bland. The female characters aren't very good, and are generally far to focused on the male characters, generally receiving little characterization beyond how they relate to their boyfriends. The story is also an issue, as it seems to be going in cycles. Especially given that I'd have to read eleven more volumes to reach the conclusion, and I had some difficulty making my way through this volume, I'm not going to follow this any longer. I may eventually read the series again once all of it is out, but if I do, it will only be if this series massively improves and/or I have little else to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bakuman, Volume 9.