Moonglum's Reviews > A Deepness in the Sky

A Deepness in the Sky by Vernor Vinge

Jun 23, 12

bookshelves: hugo-award-winners, science-fiction
Read in June, 2012

I think this may rank for me as one of the best space opera style SF books I have ever read, at least in terms of how much fun I had reading it. The last ones I remember thinking were even nearly as good were 'A Player of Games', by Ian Banks, and 'Revelation Space', by Alister Reynolds.

There are great aliens and tremendous mysteries. The book imparts a sense of the immense scale of the cosmos in both time and space, and leaves you joyful with how much wonder can be packed into less than 1000 light years cubed.

The book features a far flung trading conglomerate who see the span of millennia by going into cryo during their century long jaunts on ramscoop starships traveling at 0.3c, and coming out on watch for a few years at a time; the history and culture of sympathetic spider aliens interpreted into a 1940s world war 2 story line created by linguists enslaved by an engineered neural virus; ancient barbarian princes that look like Conan and can good great tricks with blobs of wine floating at very low g; winged kittens (no winged kittens are harmed during this novel); and is just the periphery of the coolness.

I really like space opera style SF where travel is limited to speeds slower than the speed of light. Its weirder and harder than hyperspace/warp-drive/wormholes/etc.. Not that there is anything wrong with faster than light travel, its just that I am more interested in time dilation and cosmic time spans.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Deepness in the Sky.