Tima's Reviews > The Bean Trees

The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver

Jun 28, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012, 5-stars, contemporary
Read from June 26 to 27, 2012

Barbara Kingsolver is quickly rising to the top my favorite authors lists. Swoon!

Basic Summary: This is a magnificent story of the power of love and family. Blood and acquired. Marietta Greer spent her entire rural Kentucky life swearing she would not get pregnant like all the other girls in her town. She saves up enough money to by a '55 VW and heads West to see what life has to offer. At a road-side bar in Cherokee Nation, a toddler wrapped in dirty blankets is thrust upon her by a Native American woman. The woman says the child's mother is dead and the child will be harmed if she stays with her. The mysterious woman puts little Turtle into the backseat and takes off. Now, Msrietta has a child - the very thing she was looking to avoid - and must find a place to call home. She takes on a new name of Taylor and heads to Arizona where she meets the most unlikely bunch of people.

Now I don't do this book justice with my late night review of it, because it is truly a piece of work. I believe this was Ms. Kingsolver's debut novel and it is incredible. She has an incredible knack for visualizing beauty with words. For creating deep-down depth, you love her characters to the point of tears. It is rare to find an author who can master fluidity as she can.

I've yet to read The Poisonwood Bible, which I know is the main book people swoon over - nevertheless, I am enamored with her awe-inspiring delicate touch of Native American culture and life in the Southwest. The only thing that confused me was that I didn't know there was a sequel to the book (Pigs in Heaven). They are not listed as such in the jackets of either book, nor on her website. Only on Goodreads are they put together and thank goodness for that. If you read Pigs in Heaven prior, there'd be no point in reading The Bean Trees. You would also miss the huge character build and emotional tie-in if you skip the prequel.

Favorite Quotes:
1) "I had decided early on that if I couldn’t dress elegant, I’d dress memorable".
2) "Sadness is more or less like a head cold - with patience, it passes. Depression is like cancer".
3) "That was when we smelled the rain. It was so strong it seemed like more than just a smell. When we stretched out our hands we could practically feel it rising up from the ground. I don’t know how a person could ever describe that scent".
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bean Trees.

06/26/2012 page 50