Amy's Reviews > Paris, I Love You but You're Bringing Me Down

Paris, I Love You but You're Bringing Me Down by Rosecrans Baldwin

Jun 17, 12

bookshelves: biography-memoir, france-paris
Read in June, 2012

A little bit "Mad Men," a little bit "Midnight in Paris," a lot like "2 Days in Paris"--this is one of my favorite I-moved-to-Paris tales. It's funny and reflective, without being overwritten.

You'll relate to this if you've ever moved overseas. Not just gone to a foreign country for work for a week or two, but paid utilities, navigated workplace politics, and felt helpless in the face of authorities/emergencies/your own phone. Baldwin's mandatory day-long French civics class is hilarious, as are his harangues with persistent telemarketers.

Some excerpts:

about a then-popular dance craze: "To do the Tecktonik was a solo act: arms twirling while the knees clapped together. Mostly it was popular with teenage boys, whose hips didn't move anyway."

about the Metro during rush hour: "When a train arrived, filled to capacity, desperate commuters would throw themselves at the fleshy spots, and either they fell back stunned or they stuck for a moment and used the closing doors to pinch their asses and squeeze them in."

about Manhattan on a brief visit: "New York smelled fried where Paris smelled baked."
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paris, I Love You but You're Bringing Me Down.