Bookreaderljh's Reviews > The Year of Magical Thinking

The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion

Jun 17, 2012

bookshelves: books-read-in-2012
Read in June, 2012

I actually read this book soon after it first came out but when I saw the audio recording, I knew I wanted to revisit it. This is a book that is not only a memoir of the year after Joan Didion's husband died but also a very good thesis of how people react to death of a loved one and the stages that are all part and parcel of grieving process. I loved the book and I loved listening to the retelling - even though so much of it is so sad. And how she went through the loss of her husband while also dealing with the illness of her daughter - it is just unbelievable. Gives pause to the thought that God doesn't give us more than we can bear and deal with. Of course her memories of years past is also part and parcel of getting past the grief. I was listening to this book at the time I was also making the decision to euthanize my 19 year old cat. That of course doesn't truly compare - but grief and loss is the same and it helped to be reminded that this too shall pass. I found it truly brave of Joan Didion to be able to tell this story - warts and all - and share the inevitability of death but also the magical truth and peace of far reaching relationships.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Year of Magical Thinking.