Kaje Harper's Reviews > Red+Blue

Red+Blue by A.B. Gayle

Jun 27, 12

bookshelves: m-m
Read on June 26, 2012

Adrian is a thirty-something guy forced back into the closet by emotional blackmail from his father. Ben is an actuarial student from Minnesota, young, gay, and out, who goes to work for Adrian's insurance firm. They have a nice slow-building chemistry, a clean, believable plot, and some good if not very complex secondary characters. This was almost a five-star book for me, and I did feel the emotions, especially towards the end, and enjoyed the hard-won HEA.

But some of the guys' reactions to the issue of HIV when it rears its head seemed awfully low-key to me. (view spoiler)

I would definitely pick up another book by this author - I really enjoyed her writing style, and my issues with this book were purely personal preconceptions. In fact, they reflect the fact that I believed and felt for her characters and had a whole image built up of who they were and how I expected them to behave. That shows the talent with which they were created. Oh, and as a Minnesotan? Yeah there were a couple of stereotypes but you know, they're stereotypes for a reason. Come visit and we'll show you guys just like that, you betcha.
13 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red+Blue.

06/26/2012
50.0% "the sex when they finally have it is bugging me, from the emotions of a possible HIV+ standpoint" 7 comments

Jess Candela Was this your first book by her? I enjoyed it, but it's not her best work. My favorites of hers are Mardi Gras and Caught. And the sequel to this one, which she's currently working on and I'm beta-ing, is looking really good!

Kaje Harper Jess (jeayci) wrote: "Was this your first book by her? I enjoyed it, but it's not her best work. My favorites of hers are Mardi Gras and Caught. And the sequel to this one, which she's currently working on and I'm beta-..."

Yes, this was the first. I'll look for those others, because I did like her style.

Kelly H. (Maybedog) What you wrote in your spoiler really helped because I would be too mad at the book to finish. Thanks for a great review.