Evie's Reviews > The Future of Our Past

The Future of Our Past by Kahlen Aymes

Jun 21, 12

Read in June, 2012

Best friends to lovers...

Wouldn't it be perfect if your best friend, who may happen to be a drop dead gorgeous man, fell in love with you, and you with him? Aawww, one can only dream...no? Or, maybe not. Some may be just that kind of lucky :)

Julia is smart, loving, caring, beautiful. She is an artist (her drawings are beautiful), and she cooks like no ones' business. In short, she is perfect. She's head over heels with her BFF, Ryan, um, yes! The thing is she thinks he just sees her as his best friend, oh boy is she wrong?!

Ryan, besides looking like the model on the front cover of a magazine; he's loving and caring. He's a bad cook, well maybe not that bad.(Hey, with his angelic looks, I'd feed him all day long.) He loves to eat anything and everything Julia makes. He's madly in love with Julia, and secretly scares away all of her suitors, but lacks the courage to step up and tell her how he feels.

Ryan and Julia don't give into their feelings, as they're afraid their treasured friendship suffers. (It's the "what if?" symptom they suffer if you ask me.) All is great, or so they tell themselves until a letter rocks their world, puts things in a different perspective by removing the rug from under their feet. Do I have your attention? Then the "what if we lose our friendship" becomes "what if I never see you again". Eye opening, no?

The Future Of Our Past takes you into the lives of two people, who've secretly loved each other since they first set eyes on one another. You live thru their friendship, their inner struggle to give into the love they feel, and finally thru their romantic relationship as it grows.

It's a very touching story. It makes your heart ache at times. It gives you many or several "aawww" moments, as well as reactions such as: "oh stop that!", "um, gimme more of that" (yeah, s.e.x. is GREAT!!), "wow!", "oh no! why? why? why?". There are many I Love You's, I Miss You's-- and while it may sound repetitive at times, it's perfect for the story. Why? You might ask. Well, simply because Kahlen Aymes captures what goes on in a real life relationship (at least in all of mine did, I'm pretty sure that's the case for many others as well), and makes you re-live it thru them.

Last, their story continues... and the phrase "Don't Forget to Remember Me" is key for book two. If you've read The Future Of Our Past, then you know why "not forgetting to remember" is SO important.

The Future Of Our Past makes for a perfect read anywhere and everywhere.

Blurb:

Julia Abbot and Ryan Matthews had been inseparable best friends since the moment they met. Each of them fight an internal battle, unwilling to risk their incredible friendship, but unable to quell their deep longing for the other. On the verge of Ryan’s departure to Harvard Medical School and Julia’s for a new job on the opposite coast, they are forced to face the undeniable truth of their deeper feelings and find themselves enthralled in a passion like neither has ever known.

The lovers are faced with forced separation, great distances and other people who try to sabotage their relationship as both of them work to build the shared future they both dream of. When their lives begin to finally gel, Julia is offered an opportunity that will jettison her career to new heights. In light the sacrifices she has made for him, Ryan can hardly deny her, but then something happens to completely change the course of their future. Will Julia choose the chance of a lifetime or the love of her life?

This is a story filled with the powerful and passionate connection we all dream of...a love so transcending, that even if the mind can't remember, it's impossible for the heart to forget.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Future of Our Past.

06/17/2012 page 106
31.0% ""Don't forget to remember me."~ Gosh, I'm enjoying this soooo much."
06/19/2012 page 227
67.0% "I just love the phrase "Don't forget to remember"! I'm still trying to find out, what more is there to Ryan? There's a lot to him, but there are plenty of hints about more. Hmmm..."
show 1 hidden update…