Alisa's Reviews > Such a Pretty Face

Such a Pretty Face by Cathy Lamb

Jun 23, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Read from June 17 to 23, 2012

I am so glad that I happened upon this book at the library. None of the books I was looking for were there and I wanted something to read immediately. I pulled this randomly of the shelf. Cathy Lamb must have been reading my mind somehow. I identified with a lot of Stevie's character and life experiences. Also, I live in Oregon, so the setting was familiar. Cathy Lamb's understanding about so many issues that people do not like to talk about was extremely insightful. This book ended up making me laugh, cry, and most of all, it helped me understand a lot about myself and the people in my life. I think that you can influence others in ways you don't even know about. Ms. Lamb will probably never know how therapeutic this book was for me. It was so close to home and I wish I could thank her.
Such A Pretty Face is about healing the pain of abuse, mental illness, tragedy, obesity, and to be able to discover yourself again and open your heart to love. It's awesome to see the transformation in Stevie, the main protagonist, who experienced the trauma of all the aforementioned issues, plus the guilt of a young girl who loses her sister and mother in a murder/suicide, herself having survived attempted murder. I loved the other characters in the book, with the exception of Herbert, because he reminded me of someone I used to know that caused myself and my family so much pain. When Stevie, and her Aunt Janet finally stand up to him, it's so awesome. Also, Eileen, Stevie's so-called friend was so horrible but Stevie finally lets go of her and cuts off any ties. Sometimes we have to do that for our sanity and self-respect.
Lance, Zena, Polly, Cherie, Jake and so many other characters were so endearing, hilarious to the point of making me unable to stop laughing. I wish Lance was real. The big football player with such sensitivity and love was so attractive. His twitching foot cracked me up and I loved the way Zena falls for him. Who could blame her?
Such A Pretty Face is now my favorite book of all.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Such a Pretty Face.