Sarah (YA Love)'s Reviews > Of Poseidon

Of Poseidon by Anna Banks

Jun 20, 12

bookshelves: 2012-debut-author-challenge, mythology, read-in-2012, series, young-adult-lit
Read on June 17, 2012

I went to the Fierce Reads author event in Lansing on Friday planning on buying only two of the books featured. Of Poseidon by Anna Banks was featured, and I didn’t plan on buying it because I didn’t know much about it and I’m not always sure about “mermaid books.” Once it was Anna Banks‘ turn to discuss her book, however, my plans changed. She started out saying that she wanted to write a Sasquatch love story but didn’t think the world was ready for that yet. I knew at that moment that I wanted to read her book. Her sense of humor only continued to get better and by the end of the event my friend who came with me and I decided that we were reading Of Poseidon first.

When I began reading Of Poseidon I could easily hear Anna Banks’ voice and sense of humor coming through. This book isn’t a laugh riot or anything, but it’s extremely entertaining and full of moments that made me snort with laughter, as unattractive as that is. The blend of romance, mythology, mystery, and humor makes Of Poseidon a book that’s difficult to put down. Another appealing aspect to Banks’ debut is that the chapters alternate between Emma and Galen’s points of view, but Emma’s is told in first person and Galen’s is told in third person. It took me a second to realize that shift from first to third person point of view, but it never bothered me like third person will sometimes.

The characters in Of Poseidon are endearing and really come alive on the page. I love Emma’s witty sense of humor and how awkward and clumsy she can be, but also how smart she is too. Understanding her Gift isn’t easy at first, especially since her feelings for Galen keep distracting her. Galen is really protective of Emma because he’s drawn to her, but also because she and her Gift are so important to the Syrena (don’t call them mermaids). It’s refreshing that while Galen is protective of Emma, she isn’t completely submissive and he isn’t overbearing. The tension between these two characters is palpable and had me saying out loud, “Just kiss her already!” I even texted my friend that while I was reading because I knew she was ahead of me in the story. Galen’s sister Rayna and her “mate” Toraf are fun minor characters. They add that extra bit of humor and intrigue that made Of Poseidon so much fun to read.

I do need to warn you though. Anna Banks left her readers with a crazy cliffhanger! I’ve already written it down as an ARC to look for at NCTE this fall. I’ve made a number of predictions about the ending and what’s going to happen next, so hopefully I’ll be lucky and get to read an ARC.

If you’re looking for a light, engrossing book to read this summer, I highly recommend picking up Of Poseidon by Anna Banks.
8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Of Poseidon.

06/17/2012 page 251
75.0% "So good!"

Emily I share your exact same feelings!! I loved Of Poseidon :DD great review :)

Sarah (YA Love) Emily wrote: "I share your exact same feelings!! I loved Of Poseidon :DD great review :)"

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it :)