Terri Tinkel's Reviews > Women of the Silk by Gail Tsukiyama Summary & Study Guide

Women of the Silk by Gail Tsukiyama Summary & Study Guide by BookRags

F 50x66
Jun 19, 12

bookshelves: family, female-friends, history
Read from June 17 to 18, 2012

This story takes place starting in 1919 when a young Chinese girl named Pei is sent away from her family to work in the silk factory. Many girls were sent away to work and the money they earned was sent back to their family. Sometimes that money was the only thing that kept the family from starvation or losing everything they owned. In this case, Pei lived in a girls' house with other silk factory workers. She worked hard, she learned how to advance in the factory and she made many dear friends. The story ends in 1938 when the Japanese are invading China. There is a lot of history in this story. It teaches us how friendships can be everything. It also teaches us that sorrow is a big part of life and that you can pick yourself up and move on. I am reading the sequel to this book now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Women of the Silk by Gail Tsukiyama Summary & Study Guide.

06/17/2012 "I heard about this story from a blogger friend. I am on page 81 and I am so interested in the culture of the silkworm workers back in 1919 in China."