Kirkus MacGowan's Reviews > Scavenger's War

Scavenger's War by Jack Sheppard

Jun 17, 12

Wow! Absolutely loved it. This is the first work I’ve read by Sheppard and I can’t wait for more.

Right away, the reader feels a sense of depth to this story. The gritty post-apocalyptic world comes to life before your eyes through vivid and complex descriptions of the settings and character types.

The detail is great. I won’t lie; at first I wondered whether The Marlowe Transmissions would hold my attention (I’m ADHDish in nature). I didn’t wonder for long. Each piece of the description added more to the story and made me feel more for Dez (the main character).

On to Dez. A badass for sure, but not unrealistic. Sheppard allows us to see into the MC’s inner workings. He has needs, wants, doubts, everything a plausible and in-depth character needs.

Romance? Maybe. Can you imagine what that would be like in the horrific aftermath of a world war? You’ll have to read to find out!

Ooh! Almost forgot to mention the unique sci-fi/paranormal/magical aspect to the story, especially the Scavengers. We learn some about it in the prologue and the rest is brought to us through the storyline itself. I wish I could go into more here, but I don’t want to ruin one of the best parts. I guess Sheppard did his job. I waited eagerly for each scrap of information thrown out about the technology.

Nobody is safe, nothing is as it seems. This post-apocalyptic world has plenty to offer in the way of danger and deceit.

Check out The Marlowe Transmissions: Scavenger’s War, particularly if you’re into the post-apoc genre. You won’t be disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scavenger's War.