Ramesh Menon's Reviews > Joker

Joker by Brian Azzarello

Jun 18, 12

bookshelves: batman, comics, graphic-novel
Read in June, 2012

I have read the previous 2 Joker oriented graphic novels The Man Who Laughs and The Killing Joke. Both were pretty good and revealed something that helped in moving the story forward. If you are expecting something similar to happen, Then I am sorry to tell ya it ain't the same. Brian Azzarello's Joker is more like a Road trip with Joker in his journey of Brutal, Gruesome and Vile acts that he commits along the way in order to bring back what he had lost during his caged years in Arkham - The Gotham City. The entire story is spoken from the perspective of Jonny Frost one of the Joker's henchmen. We also get to see Two Face & Riddler as the story progresses along. The artwork in this one is no less than brilliant to say the least and marks as high as the standards of The Killing Joke. Some of the fans also claim this to be a tribute to Heath Ledger's Joker.
Even though it got nothing to contribute to the existing story-line. It's a must read and must have book If you ever fell in love with Joker.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Joker.

06/18/2012 page 65

message 1: by Nihal (new)

Nihal An instant classic. Azzarello's Joker makes you laugh with him, instead of cringing at him. According to me, this also has one of the most effective entries of the Batman... we all know where that is, don't we? ;-)

Ramesh Menon I mean this one is by far the darkest Joker comic I have ever come across. Not that I ever considered Joker was a easy villan. But I never ever felt more disgusted by the acts of Joker in any other comics than this. Not even when he killed Jason Todd, I guess all the other comics seemed to have a slight bit of childishness in 'em than this one. I guess Brian Azzarello tried to potray Joker as genuine as anyone could.

Ramesh Menon And which is why I loved it even more :-)