missy jean's Reviews > Crossing Open Ground

Crossing Open Ground by Barry López

Nov 13, 08

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in November, 2008

Loooved it. My copy (from the library) has this hand-inscribed note written on the front cover, by who-knows-who: "Read this and you know ME! With love to Uncle James and Aunt Olive." At the end of reading this collection of nature essays, I felt like I knew myself better, and that guy who wrote the note, and everyone else who lives on this planet. Lopez is an amazing writer who really captures the expanse of the earth and what it means about who we are and what we can do.

I am obsessed with the essay "Landscape and Narrative." All you writers, PLEASE try to get your hands on this essay and read it!! It touches on subjects like truth vs. authenticity in writing, the link between settings and characters' internal states, and the fundamental heart of storytelling. SO good.

Other favorite essays: A Reflection on White Geese, Gone Back into the Earth, Yukon-Charley, A Presentation of Whales, Children in the Woods, and The Passing Wisdom of Birds.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crossing Open Ground.