Lauren's Reviews > Desires of the Dead

Desires of the Dead by Kimberly Derting

Jun 17, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: virgin-heroines, young-adult, paranormal-mystery, small-town, psychics, friends-to-lovers
Read from June 17 to 19, 2012

Desires of the Dead
2 Stars

Synopsis
Violet Ambrose has always kept her ability to sense the echoes of the dead a secret but after finding the body of a dead boy, she has drawn the attention of the FBI. Unfortunately, she also finds herself the target of a disturbed stalker and has no one to turn to, not even her closest friend turned boyfriend, Jay Heaton who is preoccupied with he newest pal, Mike, whose family seems to have secrets of its own.

Review
The paranormal thriller premise has potential but is completely overshadowed by the teen melodrama and angst.

Violet has become a completely different character - she has regressed emotionally and is now a typical whiny and jealous girlfriend who keeps secrets and overreacts to the smallest thing. The fact that she fails to tell her parents of the FBI's interest, is completely illogical and ruined my suspension of disbelief.

The story begins well with the discovery of a boy's body and Violet's stalker but ends up going in a confusing and disappointing direction. The tension and suspense that builds in the beginning rapidly fizzles out by the end.

Violet and Jay's romance is sweet and they certainly have oodles of chemistry but his perfection gets old after a while and the inclusion of Rafe feels out of place. It is as if Derting needed a tick next to "love triange" on her YA check list.

I may eventually read the next book if it comes my way but I won't be actively looking for it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Desires of the Dead.

06/17/2012 page 176
50.0% "Enjoying it but could do without the teenage angst."