Annie's Reviews > The Queen's Fool

The Queen's Fool by Philippa Gregory

Oct 20, 08

bookshelves: read-in-2008, favourites
Recommended to Annie by: Alaine Bucknall, Sheree McLeod
Recommended for: Philippa Gregory Fans, Historical Fiction Fans, Tudor History Buffs
Read in March, 2008, read count: 1

Gregory, the reigning Queen of historical fiction, weaves a tale that is as much an insight into the Tudor court as it is into religious history. The protagonist Hannah, is a secret Jew serving a Catholic Queen and befriending a Protestant Princess. What a catalyst for an electrifying plot!

Being that this story is based in history and immersed in fact, there are twists and turns that you will anticipate. However the addition of a completely fictional heroine adds a layer of intrigue and provides you with plot points you will not see coming. It is such a satisfying narrative arc that you won't want it to finish and you certainly won't want to leave Hannah behind.

Hannah is a character full of contradictions. Like many women of the time, Hannah's age and her sexual innocence leave her at the mercy of men who would use her for social elevation. However her education and life experience make her cunning a formidable player in these war games. She gives her heart freely to Robert Dudley, Queen Mary and Princess Elizabeth all at once and in doing so endears them all to the reader. Yet she finds it hardest of all to give herself over to a love far greater than any of these, one grounded in safety and protection. She is a tangible character and one I am sorry to say goodbye to.

This was one of the most enjoyable history lessons I've ever had and a formidable novel next to 'The Other Boleyn Girl'. I am so grateful for the sympathy and understanding I now have for England's first female ruler and one of history's most notorious tyrants. I saw 'Bloody Mary' through Hannah's eyes and now history is not just black and white, it is all shades of red.

Don't read this if: You don't like reading.
Read this book if: You want to be swept away to another world and another time. If you even have a vague fascination with history than read this book! You may get more out of it if you're interested in Tudor and religious history however the narrative and characterisation is so strong it wouldn't matter.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Queen's Fool.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Debb I have just started this and was nearly put off by the reviews of the other readers. However your last paragraph about Mary has me intrigued. Having read the historical books about her and how she ran England as a Tyrant, it will be interesting to read about her from a different point of view, even if it is a fictional book. Thank you.

Annie Thanks Deb. Hope you like it!