TheSaint's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
1609471
's review
Oct 15, 08

bookshelves: ya, post-apocto
Read in October, 2008

When I turned the last page in this book I almost threw it across the room.
Until then I would have given The Hunger Games a four star rating: well-drawn, sympathetic characters, zippy plot, pathos; and what seemed to be a realistic story/page count proportion.
But then. "End of Book One." There was nothing on the book jacket to hip me to the series issue.
I have issues with series. That will have to wait for a non-review rant.
44 likes · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.
sign in »

Comments (showing 1-42 of 42) (42 new)

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lunabell And yet, the cliffhanger at the end causes you to want to buy the next book when it comes out, no?


Bekah So, you rated it a 1 because it was part of a series? I, personally, think that is a bit harsh, considering you thought it was a 4. You don't have to read the whole series, so rate in on the content of this book. If there's a series review when they are all out, complain on there.

And *Lunabell*, I totally agree, and I am anticipating that day.


Philip I felt EXACTLY the same way. I need to be told ahead of time if it's a series. I've been wondering if I should put a "spoiler alert" up for the review I write in the next day or so because I'm going to mention that it's a series. But, it's pretty obvious that knowing ahead of time can only make the book better.

(Although I'll still give it 4 or 5 stars.)


Jessie It's a bad reason to give this book a 1. If you thought it was so good, why is it that just knowing it was part of a series makes it go from a 4 to a 1? Like Bekah, I think it's really harsh to do that. Isn't a book supposed to be looked at by the enjoyment, plot, characters, but not small irksome things. Yes, I found the ending abrupt, but it's harsh to give it a 1 because you didn't know it was part of a series.


Stacy Your fault. Next time do research on books by authors who are known for writing series... Kinda lame people actually think like this. You don't know what your missing out on if you avoid series.


Erin Giving a book one star doesn't really seem fair to do solely based on the fact that its part of a series. You should give your rating based on the content of the book. I could understand if you hated the book, giving it a 1...


Philip Yeah, but you think there might have been something on the back cover that said, "Book 1 of the Hunger Games Trilogy" or something. I'll keep reading the series now that I know it's a series. I really enjoyed the book, but I didn't want to feel conned into buying a new one. I wanted to know ahead of time that I was in for 3 books.


message 8: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom How could there be a second book if everything was resolved in the first one


message 9: by Summer (last edited Aug 18, 2009 02:05PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Summer It's your problem if you didn't know it was a series. That's totally a horrible reason to stop reading a series and give the first book a 1. I mean really? "I'm gonna not read the next book cause I hated the last paragraph even though the rest was awesome.Plus, I'm totally gonna dis the first book because it's part of a series." What! Do you want to be that person. Plus, will you ever forgive yourself for not finding out what happens? I warn you now though, I've heard a similar reaction comes at the end of the second book too so... But seriously? I mean, the same thing happened to me. The end hit me like a ton of bricks to the chest. The end litterally knocked the wind out of me. I'm not sure if I screamed or not after I got my breath back. I hope not.

But I am going to read the second book, and the third book no matter what. Plus, you don't have to be conned into buying another book. You go to the library, get the book, read it, fall in love with it, THEN buy it. But I am totally serious in urging to continue. But as for your personal choice, some of the comments at the top or increadibly valid, you don't have to read the rest. But remember, a series gives more time for the characters to be cultivated and formed, to better themselves and to become richer and more deeply involved in the web of the on-going plot.


message 10: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 19, 2009 12:57PM) (new)

I respect your opinion but I just can't seem to agree with you. This story was good and I agree that there are many similarities with other books but each one is unique in its own way. I think that the ending was simple and in a way leads you to want to read the 2nd one just to find out what happens next. You shouldn't judge it just because of he ending.


Jonathon Arntson This may be redundant, since I skipped the past comments, but who the f cares if it's a series. A good book is a good book. Since when was the writing of a book in question because it's a part of a series? I understand questioning the validity of adding books to a well-completed series, ahem "Uglies" (sorry Westerfeld), but when I found out at the end of "The Hunger Games" that another book would follow, I was ecstatic! Setting that aside, the book has writing merits that few books meet. The blanket statement, "I have issues with series", is like saying, "I have issues with foliage." So you dislike all trees and bushes, simply because they are part of a thicket or a forest? You clearly hate Harry Potter, The Chronicles of Narnia, and Twilight. Is it because they are in a series? Or because they are fanstasy? Or is it simply ignorance? What about, "A Child Called it"? It is part of a series, it is well-written, and it is extruciatingly real.

I see it has been a year since you read "the Hunger Games", if you have not already, I challenge you to read, "Catching Fire". It is a nice sequel to its predecessor, even if there's another book to follow.


message 12: by K.D. (new) - rated it 3 stars

K.D. Absolutely I respect your opinion and I feel the same (if it is part of a series why not tell it upfront)? Some authors just cheat us to make more money. You rock, TheSaint!


Jonathon Arntson Wow, you have a sad misunderstanding of how the system works.


message 14: by Eli (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eli well,it's part of a series.so i think you should read the second book of the series:catching fire.i personally think it's even better than hunger games!!actually,i think both hunger games and catching fire end really well for a series.


Alycea im sorry to be harsh but thats completely lame and closed minded..
what difference does it make if a book is apart of a series or not???
if its a good book, its a good book!! get over it!
and there are soooooo many good series' that you guys are missing out on because you dont like reading series'...and here is a solution..if you find a book and think it could be interesting but realize its a series...why dont you wait until all the books are written and then read them all together...then you wont miss out and you can read all of the books in the series as if they were one huge gigantic novel.
see a compromise!


Alycea and as a back up my previous comment...
some of you may say well i may have to wait years to read the books if i wait until the whole series is written and i dont want to wait that long...
well i say.. forget that its a series and read the books anyway!
you can always find other really great books to read while waiting for the other books to be written...


Jonathon Arntson It's easy to latch onto one book and not be able to move forward, I did that with John Green's 'Looking for Alaska', but once you do it, the next book comes before you know it and your Barnes and Noble order arrives, much to your surprise and in the case of 8-24-2010, JOY!


Paula I don't have issues with series per se, but I do have issues with the YA publishing circuit pushing good authors into making cliff hangers to try to boost sales. There is way too much of that going around right now.

The best example of a series that resolves each book as a complete, finished, satisfying story is JK Rowling's Harry Potter series. Yes, there was "something bigger" that each book addressed in its own way, but each individual could be read all by itself and still hold its own.

Collins did a great job with Gregor the Overlander. That was a terrific series. In this book, something was just missing.


Jonathon Arntson I think when the third book comes out, people will think of the whole series as The Hunger Games. The second book, and I hope third, doesn't spend much time recapping Book 1 and the action starts right away, I have a feeling it'll start on the first word in Book 3.


Jasmine ..wait, so even though you really liked the book you gave it 1 star? It's not like the author and publishing company are in one big conspiracy against the readers. The reason we have public libraries is so you don't have to buy every book you read...they aren't trying to con you into buying the next books by not warning you that it's a part of a series.
Yea, at the ending I was thinking "NOOO WAYYYY," but I didn't feel that it ruined the book. I just thought that last sentence was cruel because it was so final and a cliffhanger.
The fact that you didn't know it was a series is your fault and you shouldn't give the book a low star rating just for that...
Sorry if that sounds mean, but it makes no sense whatsoever to give the book such a low rating just because it's part of a series..
Paula: you think that the Harry Potter books can stand alone? I think that the reader would be really confused if it was read out of order...


Gabby M I respect your opinion, but I agree 100% with *Bekah*. You shouldn't just judge a book due to the fact that it's in a series. It's not the authors fault she wanted to give us more to look forward to, and give us a better understanding of what she wanted to happen.


Donna While I personally wouldn't one star a book I otherwise liked because I didn't expect it to be a series, I also think people should lay off with the Rating Police act.

It's one thing to leave a comment that's just respectful disagreement, but the piling on and name-calling are overboard.


Morgan F I agree with the comments above. Just because a book that you were enjoying is part of a series doesn't give reason for you to give it one star. If you don't want to read the rest of the series, you don't have to. Rate this book as it is. And if you just don't want to buy the next book, there are PLENTY of alternatives.


April*procrastinator and proud* really!?
I have problems with books that aren;t series, especially when they have such likeable characters like The Hunger Games did. I grow attatched to the characters in books and start bawling when i have to say bye to them. But if you read Catching Fire, you will not be dissapointed! its amazing!


message 25: by Eva (last edited May 19, 2010 07:23AM) (new) - added it

Eva Leger I love how as soon as someone doesn't agree with a reviewer they pounce. Is it really that important? Are we all aware of the whole "free speech" thing? Does anyone stop to think that maybe, just maybe, it makes us look really stupid to do that?
Anyway, I haven't read this and I don't think I will. But, I agree with the series thing - that shouldn't be something you have to hunt and find out. I read between 25-30 books a month. How in the hell could I hunt down and find out if each one is in a series or if that author "usually" does this? That's insane. It should be on the book and easy to see. How hard is that?
I will, RESPECTIVELY and WITHOUT being RUDE, give my opinion on the rating also. While I totally understand how angry it can make a person finding out about the series issue so late, I wouldn't have taken away three stars for that. lol I try to rate a book on the book alone and if something else, like this for example, comes into play I try to note it in the review.
But, you're allowed to do whatever you want to do and you shouldn't be bombarded with idiotic comments for your choice. I didn't even keep reading them and I think you were smart for not commenting back. What's the point in a pointless conversation?


message 26: by Eva (new) - added it

Eva Leger Morgan wrote: "I agree with the comments above. Just because a book that you were enjoying is part of a series doesn't give reason for you to give it one star. If you don't want to read the rest of the series, ..."

Quick question Morgan, what makes you think that you should tell someone else how to write their review? Why should someone else "rate this book as it is" because you said so?


Morgan F ♥Eva♥ wrote: "Morgan wrote: "I agree with the comments above. Just because a book that you were enjoying is part of a series doesn't give reason for you to give it one star. If you don't want to read the rest ..."

Ooooo. Got me there.


April*procrastinator and proud* ♥Eva♥ wrote: Quick question Morgan, what makes you think that you should tell someone else how to write their review? Why should someone else "rate this book as it is" because you said so?"
Well, he did say he loved the book until he saw it was a series, so he probably shouldn't have rated it 1 star if he loved it but didn;t liek the factt it was a series


message 29: by Eva (last edited May 19, 2010 07:22AM) (new) - added it

Eva Leger I happen to agree with you Rilly. But again, we are not him. He can do whatever he chooses. Some people won't rate a book they don't finish. Some do. I know someone who will not rate any book they consider to be less than 4 stars. They have no books they've rated 1, 2, or 3 stars. My point is this - we all have our own page for a purpose. So we can all do things however we want. What right do I have to tell you that you shouldn't rate a book they way you choose because I feel it's not right?
Comment all you like, I do all the time. I comment when I agree and I comment when I disagree but no one could ever find a comment where I'm telling someone else what they should or shouldn't do. Unless I'm being sarcastic. Maybe then. :)


Irisjade I kind of know what you're saying. Like, the whole of the book was great, it was so entertaining, but well written too; a combination I don't often find. Then the end kind of irked me too, but it IS a series. What sucks, though, is that I finished book one just at the end of school and now who knows when I'll be able to read book 2 or if I'll even want to?


April*procrastinator and proud* Irisjade wrote: "I kind of know what you're saying. Like, the whole of the book was great, it was so entertaining, but well written too; a combination I don't often find. Then the end kind of irked me too, but it I..."

you should , it's AMAZING! i liked it better than the first.


Kristina come on here i mean if anything you should've been even more excited when you read end of book one, well at least that's how i felt
i don't think you should've given it a one simply because you were upset at the last part of the book because it's the whole story in general that your rating
the second one is amazing, if you haven't read it then you should and heck finish the series for actual closure then rate it honestly


message 33: by Timmy (new)

Timmy Why the HELL did you give it a one


Lauren You know, I really get what you're saying. It is really annoying to have to read a whole other installment of an awesome book. I have decided to follow your example and give ones to all books with chapters. I really hate organization, especially when it comes to reading. You know what else is really useless? Having to turn the pages. Books should just be one giant sheet of paper that you can fold or roll up if you want to. Then, we wouldn’t have to worry about having to dog-ear pages or those pesky page number that help us remember where we stopped reading. Don’t even get me started on spaces. I mean, who thought that putting giant gaps between words was a good idea? I mean, really!


message 35: by ♫ Andrea the car crash heart ♫ (last edited Jun 22, 2011 09:02AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

♫ Andrea the car crash heart ♫ What? You gave it a bad review because you found out it was a series when you finished it. It just means more awesomeness to read afterwards. Nice reason. >__<


message 36: by Eva (new) - added it

Eva Leger ♫ Andrea the imaginatively bankrupt ♫ wrote: "What the hell. You gave it a bad review because you found out it was a series when you finished it. It just means more awesomeness to read afterwards. Nice reason. >__<"

That means "more awesomeness" to you, not the reviewer.


Philip I wonder if people on here are reading the comments that have already been posted. I think we've covered most of the ground already...


Littlebearries I think people are just outraged that this one star comes from not liking that it's part of a series, and are going to say so.

I hate when I read books where you get to the end and all of a sudden they tell you that it was "Book One"... that happened to me with Abarat, it's been YEARS since the first one came out, and I'm still waiting for the third. I probably wouldn't have read it had I known. Alas... but at the same time... Abarat is an AMAZING series, and I would never disqualify the first book based solely on my own ignorance that it was part of a series.


message 39: by ♫ Andrea the car crash heart ♫ (last edited Dec 13, 2010 06:29PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

♫ Andrea the car crash heart ♫ ♥Eva♥ wrote: "♫ Andrea the imaginatively bankrupt ♫ wrote: "What the hell. You gave it a bad review because you found out it was a series when you finished it. It just means more awesomeness to read afterwards. ..."

But, if I read this correctly, the reviewer wrote, "I would have given The Hunger Games a four star rating: well-drawn, sympathetic characters, zippy plot, pathos; and what seemed to be a realistic story/page count proportion." Which means, she/he thought it was exceptionally awesome until she/he found out it was part of a series. The reviewer doesn't even HAVE to read the sequels and STILL give The Hunger Games 4 stars.


Charlotte M. There were times during the last book when all I wanted to do was throw the book against the wall. But is that not what makes for good fiction? A story that so enthralls you that it's able to make you mad, make you cry, or be ecstatically happy? That's what I consider a good book, because these are the types of stories written by intelligent writers who know what they're doing, and are able to wrench at the heart of the reader. Personally, there's not many books that do so to me.


Birgitta Garðarsdóttir This is so stupid.


Jesse Bromley Finding out that is a series is as simple as putting a couple of words into Google. if you're smart enough to read a book, you should be smart enough to do a little research. just sayin...


back to top