karen's Reviews > Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore

Jun 19, 12

bookshelves: thank-you-bea-or-ala, books-about-books-about-books
Read from June 17 to 18, 2012

suuuuper fun!

this book is going to sell like gangbusters when it comes out in october. mostly because each and every one of you reading this review are going out and getting yourselves a copy. this is a command.

you like books, right? yes, you do, because you are a member of goodreads. and this book is about books! and puzzles! and adventure! there's not a whole lot that's better than that.it is shades of Salamander and The Grand Complication: A Novel and If on a Winter's Night a Traveler and The Name of the Rose, but it is definitely distinctly its own.

this book is just a pure joy to read - each character has their own particular skill set, and are quirky without being cutesy about it, and each contributes to solve one hell of a book-mystery involving secret booknerd societies, typography, ancient artifacts, codes and puzzles, the capabilities of computers,and the coolest bookstore you have ever heard of.the mystery is satisfying and the attention to detail is very much appreciated, plus i learned a thing or two.

this is one of those books it is better if you discover and experience on your own, so i am not going to say anything else about it, suckers!

but this is wild, page-turning fun, and i urge you all to get your hands on a copy if you like books about books. and you do.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 2: by David (new) - added it

David gnarly

message 3: by Stephen M (last edited Jun 19, 2012 09:53PM) (new) - added it

Stephen M Ouch! I can't get the fish hook out of my cheek—Umberto Eco and Italo Calvino just forced it deep into my skin. I guess I have to read this book now......

karen well, it's not as literary as either of those, just so you know.... but it is playful and book-y

message 5: by David (new)

David Are you typing that in Anaheim?

Your typing looks the same as New York typing.

message 6: by David (new)

David Oh, wait. Never mind.

I was thinking today was Thursday. But it's just a stupid Wednesday.

Elizabeth La Lettrice I'm so excited that you loved it! Copies are hard to find around here. I should of been a more dedicated employee at BEA.

Elizabeth La Lettrice And your reference to two wonderful Italian authors was enjoyed by me as well... :)

karen soon it will be anaheim typing...

message 10: by Stephen M (last edited Jun 20, 2012 05:42PM) (new) - added it

Stephen M karen wrote: "well, it's not as literary as either of those, just so you know.... but it is playful and book-y"

No sounds great! It might be that playful booky stuff that I like about 'em anyway and not any 'literary' concerns, whatever they may be.

message 11: by Tuck (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tuck but would stepehn king think it's "a treat?"

karen probably - he seems to like every book ever published.

message 13: by Beverley (new) - added it

Beverley great review - inspired me to read it!

karen awesome!! and it just came out so you can!

Desirée Okay, sold! It goes on my wishlist immediately.

karen ugh, but i hate this cover. the cover for the ARC was soooo much cooler.

Sunny in Wonderland Sounds like my cup of tea!

karen ooh, yes! such a good one!

message 19: by Deborah (new)

Deborah I am going to go out and buy it, because I read your review. Oh, and please note, I thought your review of this book was perfect. Don't revise!

karen i am too lazy to revise, after all!

i hope you love the book!

Alexandra Can't wait to start this one!! I almost didn't get it because I was afraid that with a title like this, it would suck. Usually when books have awesome titles, the most awesome thing about them is the title. And that just sucks. But if you rated it five stars, well it must be fantastic. Right?:/

karen most people i know who have read it have loved it, so it's not just me!

look, greg loved it, too!

Nicole The cover isn't the best. Until you realize it glows in the dark! At least I thought that was neat.

Currently reading it and so far loving it!

karen IT GLOWS IN THE DARK??????

message 25: by Tuck (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tuck oh yes it does.

Melissa karen wrote: "IT GLOWS IN THE DARK??????"

OMG, I have to go look when I get home from the store tonight (which will be yet another depressing, dead-ass evening where we must be open because the mall insists we be yet we have no customers).

message 27: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Quick locate the book and turn out your lights!

karen dammit - i have the ARC!! it does not glow!! i feel cheated!

Melissa karen wrote: "dammit - i have the ARC!! it does not glow!! i feel cheated!"

Take the HC into the breakroom at work and turn out the lights!

karen ooh, i will go into the green room tomorrow and try this!

message 31: by Joel (new)

Joel karen, i have a question for you as i haven't read this yet... is this a book where there is a book-within-the-book with, like, magic, possibly dangerous powers? or where language can infect/change people?

karen well, it's not like Lexicon or The Flame Alphabet. it might be more like The Word Exchange, which i have not read, but seems to have a little bit of fun to it, despite it being a dystopia. this book isn't about danger, really. it's more charming and codebreaking and booky. and google.

message 33: by Joel (new)

Joel karen wrote: "well, it's not like Lexicon or The Flame Alphabet. it might be more like The Word Exchange, which i have not read, but seems to have a little bit of ..."

gotcha. i am writing a blog post on this topic (including lexicon and the marcus book) and wasn't sure if this qualified. sounds like a no...

i do need to read it! i started it a year ago but got distracted. but it sounds just my speed.

Melissa Definitely not like The Word Exchange (finished that last week). Penumbra definitely has a very real - if unusual - setting, no magic or SF elements. Word Exchange is definitely more bio-thriller/cyberpunk-ish, recommend that, too. :)

message 35: by Joel (new)

Joel Thanks Melissa! I will read it soon.

karen Melissa wrote: "Definitely not like The Word Exchange (finished that last week). Penumbra definitely has a very real - if unusual - setting, no magic or SF elements. Word Exchange is definitely more bio-thriller..."

yay! thank you! i have it at work, but haven't gotten to read it yet. ):

Melissa karen wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Definitely not like The Word Exchange (finished that last week). Penumbra definitely has a very real - if unusual - setting, no magic or SF elements. Word Exchange is definitely m..."

Since you're a fast reader, I'll just note that there will be a few sections that will get tough to read just because of the concept. I had to slow down and double-back at times. Annoying, but worth it.

karen ooh, a challenge! my "must read immediately" list is crazy right now. but i'm going to read it for sure.

Melissa karen wrote: "ooh, a challenge! my "must read immediately" list is crazy right now. but i'm going to read it for sure."

So many good books coming out this year!! A lady who used to be in my BNBC group keeps rec'ing me books I have in my longlist. She knows me too well.

And why can't we find a job where people will pay us to sit around and read...and nothing else! LOL.

karen when i was between jobs and temping, i had one placement where i had to answer the phones for a company that had just moved offices, so the place was empty, and no one was calling, and i read for three days straight. i would like to do that again, full-time, with a huge raise. i mean, i am very very good at reading so i should get paid a lot for it.

message 41: by Mia (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mia Would never have found out about this little gem if not for your review. It is booky, playful, and definitely one of my favourites. I love your reviews and their lack of capital letters, by the way. Cheers!

karen oh, i'm glad i could show you something new!!! thanks!!!