Mary Grace's Reviews > Knee Deep

4202510
Jun 21, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Read from June 17 to 20, 2012

Second book that I’ve read from Jolene Perry and it is another smashing hit! I can’t tell you enough what I LOVED about this book or about the author or about her talent in telling us emotional and powerful stories. To be honest, I wasn’t expecting much from this book, it was a book that I decided to be a “so-so” book but from the first few pages alone, I immediately told myself that I am reading another book worth recommending. Okay, so unto the book.

Ronnie is a girl who “tied” herself to Shawn, believing that he’s her forever. Luke on the other hand is her best friend and confidant. Two boys that will eventually lead Ronnie to a cross road between what she needs and what she deserves. Okay, I’ll explain that further. Ronnie’s relationship with Shawn was okay the first few chapters but as the story progress, you’ll find things that can irritate you if you have a boyfriend like Shawn and in the process, Ronnie will also irritate you because of how she reacts to her boyfriend. There are just things that a person can take and Shawn’s attitude was inexcusable. Luke on the other side tries so hard to make Ronnie see what is really in front of her – whether it be her abusive boyfriend or her love for her. So basically one boy is what she needs and one boy is what she wants – and on both scenarios Ronnie realizes things a little too late for comfort.

Ronnie is a strong character in my opinion. I like her very much and I sympathize with her. I actually can’t blame her since majority of women in her situation does the same thing as well and some just won’t let go. I love how Perry played with Luke and Ronnie’s character – the relationship felt sincere and genuine. Situations like this is a process and Perry wrote the succession of events in a casual and steady pace. It was believable. That’s another thing I love about Perry’s stories is that they are always believable and have depth. It’s not just a story of boy meet girl – fells in love with another – broken hearts – etc etc. There’s more in her stories that readers won’t regret time invested in reading it. I would definitely advice to pick her book from other contemporaries. No regrets in the end I promise.

Back to the characters, I also love Ronnie’s relationship with her parents. Although her mom seems a little busy to mind what’s up with her daughter, her dad knows that something monumental is happening and that attention to detail is what every parent needs to have for their kids. Kids always needs attention and guidance no matter what age they maybe (but parents, don’t overdo it. Your kids needs to have a life too and trust! It’s a two way communication after all). Although Ronnie’s friendship with Mindy was a little on the “oh oh list for parents” you guys have to agree that teens do experiment, it’s up to the parents to trust their kids that they won’t step over the line.

What happened to Ronnie and Shawn was devastating, to Ronnie mostly, and reading through that part was heart breaking and I can’t stop a tear or two from falling. I felt my heart just stopped (an no I am not exaggerating that bit) and kept reading wanting to know how Ronnie will handle the situation. At the end of it all, you got to admire this girl. Brave. Every abused person needs to learn when to say no and when to walk away – that’s the main point of Knee Deep. Oh and speaking of Knee Deep, I was curious of what the connection of the title was with the story and realized that Knee Deep is when you know when to finally let go and stop being scared of what might happen in the future for you. It’s when you realize that you can handle troubles past “knee deep”. I might get the analogy wrong but that’s how I understood it and I totally get it and approve. Did I say that this is a recommended read? Seriously, you will get your moneys worth with Knee Deep. Perry is becoming one of my favorite authors and while you’re reading this, you might want to read my review of Night Sky by Perry as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Knee Deep.