Fred's Reviews > Me, Who Dove into the Heart of the World

Me, Who Dove into the Heart of the World by Sabina Berman

Jun 17, 2012

bookshelves: other-fiction
Read on June 17, 2012

Very reminiscent in ways of THE CURIOUS INCIDENT OF THE DOG IN THE NIGHTTIME. All in all I loved this book but the ending was so anticlimactic that I had to give it four stars instead of five. There were several times when I laughed out loud and there were plenty of times when I really felt for the characters in the book but the ending was just so not an ending to me that . . . well yeah. But that said, I can't think of any other way that the book could have ended that would have necessarily made it any better. It was just one of those plots that you can't really have a penultimate ending for I suppose.

If you liked THE CURIOUS INCIDENT OF THE DOG IN THE NIGHTTIME then this book is right up your alley. A good, fast read, from a writer I'd be more than willing to check out again given the opportunity.

The book is about an Autistic girl/woman named Karen who joins society very late in life after essentially being allowed to run wild like an animal without learning to speak or behave in any way until she is well into her teenage years (I'm guessing the age here). Her aunt raises her from that point on and Karen's life becomes something of a marvel made possible because of rather than in spite of her Autism.

I am required to state in my review that I won this book for free through the Goodreads First Reads Giveaways.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Me, Who Dove into the Heart of the World.

06/17/2012 page 203