Kalilah's Reviews > Lord Loss

Lord Loss by Darren Shan

Jun 17, 12

Recommended for: Fans of Supernatural stories
I own a copy, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** This book is about a boy who witnesses the gory murder of his parents and sister and is taken to a "place that helps people with problems" to be aided in recovering from the trauma of it all. However, the boy sinks into even deeper depression because no-one believes his story about the killers and insist that his mind is playing tricks on him to deal with the shock. One day, an uncle of the boy's arrives at the mental institution unexpectedly and claims he knows all about the deaths of his family, their murderers and why it happened, and that he can help the boy, etc. So the boy goes and lives with his uncle, where secrets unfurl and in the end we are treated with a big battle; a chess tournament! So original, right?
Although at first I wasn't appreciative of the style of writing in this book (it does seem a bit like Mr Shan was taking notes regarding his story and decided the notes were good enough and sent them off to be published), I eventually got over it and really enjoyed the book. It is meant to be "seriously scary" but I don't think it would threaten the mind, body or spirit of anyone aged 12+.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord Loss.