Victor Gentile's Reviews > Cooking the Books

Cooking the Books by Bonnie S. Calhoun

Jun 21, 2012

Read in June, 2012

Bonnie S. Calhoun in her new book, “Cooking the Books” Book One in The Sloane Templeton Series published by Abingdon Press brings us into the life of Sloane Templeton.

From the back cover: It’s not easy being Sloane Templeton.

After her mother dies from a heart attack, Sloane Templeton goes from Cyber Crimes Unit to bookstore owner before she can blink. She also “inherits” a half-batty store manager; a strange bunch of little old people from the neighborhood who meet at the store once a week, but never read books, called the Granny Oakleys Book Club; and Aunt Verline, who fancies herself an Iron Chef when in reality you need a cast iron stomach to partake of her culinary disasters. And with a group like this you should never ask, “What else can go wrong?”

A lot! Sloane begins to receive cyber threats. While Sloane uses her computer forensic skills to uncover the source of the threats, it is discovered someone is out to kill her. Can her life get more crazy?

I like a good mystery and “Cooking the Books” certainly delivered the goods. Sloane Templeton is one of the most innovative characters that I have come across in a very long time. She worked in Cyber Crimes but never carried a gun and when she does she almost shoots her leg off. Now she runs a bookstore and her life is being threatened because of a priceless book and it gets more intense from there. Ms. Calhoun has created an impressive cast of characters that populate Sloane’s life and all of them are interesting in their own way, good and bad. “Cooking the Books” delivers suspense, some romance, mystery and a lot of fun. I liked this book very much. I look forward to the next book in the series.

If you would like to listen to interviews with other authors and professionals please go to www.kingdomhighlights.org where they are available On Demand.

To listen to 24 hours non-stop, commercial free Christian music please visit our internet radio station www.kingdomairwaves.org

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from Glass Road Public Relations. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cooking the Books.