David's Reviews > The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxset

The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxset by Suzanne Collins

M 50x66
Jun 17, 12

Read in April, 2012

The first two books were compelling. The third book, however, was such a severe disappointment that it really lessened my enjoyment of the first two books. To ignore the plot, and focus on the writing, the trilogy as a whole was decent fiction, in a science fiction setting. As a science fiction fan, however, the setting detracted from my enjoyment of the book - the ground has been covered better in the past, the dystopia was unconvincingly constructed, and at times the suspension of disbelief just wasn't maintainable.

The plot and the tone of the third book was a radical departure from the first two. The prodigious sins of the rulers were transformed, and the explanation of the origin of the games was midiclorianesque. The entire resolution left me wondering what sick mind thought that the crushing despair the reader was left with was a end to a young adult series. The sexual content may have made the book no-ideal for the audience, but the outlook worries me more. Despite the fact that many survived the ordeals, no character escaped the claws of the soul-crushing view of human nature displayed in the resolution, with nary a thread of hope for the future. That is what ruined the series for me.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxset.

message 1: by Abby (new) - added it

Abby The last book was sad no doubt but she was just trying to convey the horrors of war. I thought it was well written and it kept my guessing. It was a good book for teens in my opinion; my fourteen year old sister read it and loved it. And that it saying something!

message 2: by David (last edited Jul 29, 2012 12:47PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

David Abby wrote: "The last book was sad no doubt but she was just trying to convey the horrors of war. I thought it was well written and it kept my guessing. It was a good book for teens in my opinion; my fourteen y..."

Sad doesn't bother me. It was not well connected to the first two books, thematically or otherwise. The whole series was a poorly imagined universe, but that didn't degrade between the first and second book. What ruined the series for me was that the characters had completely random personality changes between the first two books and the third, as well as within the third - and these changes were not caused by the events in the books. The narrative was disjointed, and the writing got worse. It just seems like the third book was poorly planned, and executed quickly to meet a deadline and make cash.